Monday, December 14, 2009

Cards and Greetings

Today I go the first my first Christmas card of the season. Or should I say holiday card? Because while I'm not particularly religious (and had parents of varying faiths) I generally adapt to the tradition of a secular Christmas. (But to my Jewish friends and Loyal Readers, Happy Hanukkah!) In past years I have bought cards that had the message "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" not to be 'politically correct', but out of respect for my friends and their various multitude of religious, spiritual and secular beliefs. Plus it's cheaper than buying Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice and all other kinds of cards. So I can completely understand why the first card I received had "Season's Greetings" on it. Non-denominational means that all of your recipients can place their own meaning on the season and you respect everyone, equally. But it seems that while I took the card in the manner in which I'm pretty sure it was intended, a lot of people are mad about this same card.

Oh, did I mention that the card was from the President and Mrs. Obama? From the White House? Yeah. It's nice and I like it, but I'm pretty sure the Obama's didn't say, "Oh, yeah, don't forget Shae!". I think that I got it because as a Democrat and a caucus volunteer last year I made someone's list and that got me on the White House list. I'm flattered because, no offense intended, I never got one from the Clinton White House (and I voted for that dude twice!)

It's a lovely card, much nicer that any I have bought to send out. I usually get my cards at the Dollar store or on sale for 75% off after Christmas. Heck the last two years, I haven't even sent out cards, I've sent our economical and eco-friendly emails. This one is nice and thick and classy looking so I'm betting the Obama's didn't get them at "99 Cents Only". But I guess a lot of people are mad that the card didn't specifically say "Merry Christmas". Um, okay, but then the White House would have to send all it's Jewish supporters a Hanukkah card. And what if they send the wrong card out? I mean, not all people with 'Jewish sounding' last names are Jews and not all Christian sounding names are Christians. Think of the mess that could lead to. So I think the formal and lovely "Season's Greetings" card is both lovely and appropriate. But Fox News doesn't. So I hope the White House didn't send them one.

I do have one dilemma about this card. Does this mean I have to send the Obama's a holiday card now?

3 comments:

Maura said...

Wow, a card from the Obamas. You go, girl!

I agree with you. "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" are perfectly appropriate sentiments for the White House to send out.

There was a story about this very thing in our local paper a week or two ago, although it was about retail stores, not the White House. Apparently, there are websites you can go to to voice your displeasure about salespeople using a generic "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." It is all so out of hand. How sad is it when a kind and friendly greeting pisses you off? Seems to me that people like that won't have a Merry Christmas regardless of how many people say those exact words to them. They'll be too busy looking for something else to complain about.

Jen said...

LOVE the name of your blog...I can relate!!

dyann hunter said...

Fox News can suck it. Bastards.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...