Monday, September 08, 2008

Happy Birthday Will!


Today is my brother's birthday. I just want to acknowledge what an amazing brother and incredible person he is. He is younger than I am, but I have graciously decided to let him get to the age of forty before me.

Will was, of course, my arch rival for the front seat growing up, and a pesky little brother the rest of the time. I also remember this awful smell coming from his room, which got way worse when his friends joined him. I used to hold my nose as I ran past his room. He wore a KISS t-shirt for what seems like forever when he was a kid and only stopped wearing it when they had to cut it off him when he dislocated his shoulder. He got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a brown belt in White Tiger when he was younger, at which point I stopped beating up on him because I knew he could kick my ass.

After my father died, Will became my second best friend (my mom is my BF). We have gone through a lot together, some really tough times and a few happy ones. He has become a truly wonderful man, compassionate, caring, and he really puts his family first in his life. I am so happy he met Val, and happier still that he was smart enough to ask her to marry him so that she becomes a part of our family too. I'm even more ecstatic that Val doesn't mind spending time with us or letting Will spend time with us. She's a great sister and a welcome addition to the family.

Will is truly a product of my parents. He's as smart and interesting as my father, with a bit of his temper to boot. He's as kind and caring as my mother. I'd like to think some of my influence is in there too, as he has influenced my life. He's been incredibly supportive of my sabbatical and my film making and he is always there for me, whatever I need. He also helps me save thousands of dollars at the mechanic because he knows way more about cars than I do. ("No Shae, tell the mechanic you don't need a new picture tube for the car. Yes, I'm sure. Cars don't have picture tubes. Yes, I'm sure.")

Some of my favorite memories in this world involve my brother. Us, walking down the streets of New York City, me periodically jumping up and down, clutching his arm, screaming "I won $64,000!", him patiently smiling at me, saying "I know". Him, pulling himself out of bed because I wanted to see the midnight buffet on the cruise ship, even though he was tired and not at all hungry. Him and I, eating Dole Whip at Disneyland. Him, holding my hand, when our mother went into surgery.



I wish I could give my family all of their dreams and desires. Instead, I gave my brother a couple of books and made him a batch of Key West Cupcakes. (Vanilla cake, key lime curd filling, this delicious creamy frosting and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. Plus I made a gum paste sand dollar for decoration.) But if I could give him the moon and the stars, I would.

Happy Birthday Will. You are a great brother and friend, and I love you.

3 comments:

Maura said...

Happy Birthday, Will! And many, many more. Of course he's a great guy, he's a Virgo like me! (My birthday was last Tuesday - we won't discuss the number.)

You are lucky to have such a great brother and family, Shae. And I wish I had a sister like you who would bake me such awesome looking goodies!

FYI - Carter Oosterhouse is on HGTV. He used to be on Trading Spaces, but somebody smart at HGTV knew a hot draw when they saw one and now he has his own show called "Carter Can."

Jonathon Bryant said...

Wow those cupcakes look amazing. Lets pretend it's my birthday and you send me a batch of them. Or you can start sending me some to make up for the last 70 birthdays of mine that you have missed. Happy Birthday everyone and Will!!!! -JON

dyann hunter said...

Aren't brothers great! Happy Birthday to Will and let's here it for all brothers. Mine, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...