Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chugging Along

Opening a new business is an interesting concept. You have a concept, you work hard to get it ready, you try to promote it but you have really no idea how it's going to work out. Will people respond? Will that response be favorable? And how long will it take?

Internet business is a bit different from a 'brick and mortar' establishment. My overhead is obviously lower and since I bake on demand I don't have to keep stockpiles of inventory that will go bad. I have made great friends with the owner of the commercial kitchen I bake in and even though my plan was to bake once a week she's pretty flexible with when I come in. (In this economy we all help one another I guess). And opening on the Internet first was kind of a 'toe in the water' kind of move. I'd love to have a full shop with more room but I need to know I will have the business first before I make that kind of leap. I didn't know what to expect, it could've been months before I got my first order.

Well, you know I had orders before we even opened officially. And this week has been great. I've had orders for marshmallows. I've designed cookies for a graduation in New Jersey and some 'award' cookies for a company in Kentucky to send to a client in Florida (the Internet really does make it a small world!) So if things continue this way, I'll be doing pretty well. Of course, we could hit dry spells with no orders but I'm prepared for any and all eventualities - I think you have to be if you want to try entrepreneurship. So who knows what's coming next? Not me, but I'm sure whatever it is, it will be interesting.

So I reflect on 'plans'. When I graduated from high school my 'plan' was to go to college, then law school and be married with 2 kids and a picket fenced house. But circumstance got in the way of those plans and my life has taken different paths. And when I die, I won't regret not going to law school. Because my life has been full of twists and turns that I never could have planned but it's taken me down some really interesting roads.

When I took my sabbatical I 'planned' to write for a year and become a famous author. That will still happen (maybe not the famous part). But I certainly never 'planned" to open a bakery and make wedding favors. But like most of the coolest things in my life, it happened. And it's another interesting turn to take.

There is a scene in a movie called "Never Been Kissed" where a character asks a teen girl what she wants to be when she grows up. The girl has a list of things, like professor and painter and flautist, so many things you think "just pick something, you'll never be all of that!" I laughed when I saw that scene because like most 'grown-ups' I felt it was a flight of fancy all teens have, that they can do anything, be anything. But you can't. Or can you? I've been many things so far in my life and since family history suggests I could live to a ripe old age, I will be many more. So it might never have been in my 'plans' to be a writing, acting, film making baker, but that's what I am today. Gosh only knows what I'll be tomorrow!

Thanks for taking this journey with me Loyal Readers. Knowing I have you with me gives me courage when I am scared, spirit when I am low and comfort that I am not alone. You are the best!

2 comments:

The Guy By The Door said...

Goodnight Mary Ellen...

dyann hunter said...

You're one of my most interesting friends because of ALL the things that you ARE and that you DO :-) I love to surround myself with people who I admire and respect and YOU, my dear are just that. I have so many aspirations in life that "just picking one" would never do. I applaud you and your success Shae! Keep chugging along :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...