Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Sunday, Bocce Sunday


It has been a busy few days for me. Filming, getting ready for the 'grand opening' and fulfilling my family obligations too. Whew.

Friday we filmed some of the pivotal scenes for the movie. It was only a half dozen scenes but one scene alone took almost four hours. It was a LONG day! Then on Saturday we shot a couple of party scenes. That was fun...it was an eclectic group of extras but that's what makes life interesting.

Sunday is family time. Since the weather has been so incredibly nice (in the mid-to-high eighties and a bit overcast) we decided to play bocce. We play bocce on the Wii fairly well but one day when we were out eating lunch we saw a bocce court (is that what you call it?) It's near to Sun City but it's in the parking lot of a shopping center (weird, huh?) Well, a few weeks ago I saw a bocce ball set at the craft store (who knew that's where to go for bocce balls?) and the set was on sale so I bought it for my mom, who had actually been looking up how to put a bocce court into our back yard. (She's trying to encourage her chubby children to exercise but since bocce is usually a sport for old Italian men, I guess she's easing us in gently.)

So after eating at El Burrito (please, do not tell me how good their chile rellenos are, I have heard the hype and I totally disagree - ditto on the soup - but the special taco is awesome and I had the huevos rancheros, which was delicious. But my brother and uncle think this is a Mexican food Mecca) we went down to the bocce court. Other than people going to the ATM at the bank right next to the court (see, it is a weird location isn't it?) we had the place to ourselves. And we played 18 games of bocce whil The Graminator napped in the shade.

Guess who kicked our bocce butts? My mom. Yup, she won 8 games, I won 5, Will won 4 and Val won one. Somehow my mom is a bocce savant. Maybe she was a little old Italian man in a past life or something. Or she has been sneaking up to the court to practice when we weren't looking. But we had fun, it was a lovely afternoon and we got a teeny, tiny bit of exercise (since the losers had to shag the balls back).

Only 6 days till the official opening of Glitter City Sweets. Are you ready?

1 comment:

Maura said...

I've never played bocce ball. And there were enough Italians in my neighborhood when I was growing up that you think I would have seen it played at some point. But nope, never.

Glad to hear the filming is going well. And even gladder to hear that you are fitting in some fun time, too. Woo Hoo!!!!

I can't believe the big day fro GCS is coming up so soon. You've come a long way, baby! Keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...