Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Eclairs and Gougeres, Oh My



So I was obsessed with making gougeres (savory cheese puffs made with pate choux) so one day I just did it. I made a small batch, using pepper jack for the gougeres (which was not a strong enough cheese so next time I will use a sharper, more flavorful cheese.) I also made a vanilla bean pastry cream for the eclairs which I lightened by folding in whipped cream. (Sherry Yard had a name for this mixture in her cookbook but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.) Then I topped them with homemade dark chocolate ganache. They were sooooo good. I made them small, just a couple of bites big, and when I was eating them I wished I had made them HUGE - so it's probably a good thing that I didn't.

All the baking that I'm doing for GCS leaves me little time to bake for myself, but I'm still determined to make black and white cookies and French macaroons. But right this minute, I'm dreaming of big, spicy, gooey cinnamon rolls. Not the ones from the can, but homemade with lots of cream cheese icing. We have a VDE meeting on Saturday and if I have enough time on Friday night, I'm going to make some to take to the meeting.(I have several orders that have to go out on Friday so it's a big if.) As soon as the weather turns cool (it's in the high 70's, which may not seem cool to you but in Vegas it's practically sweater weather) I want to make cozy foods and bake like crazy. Guess I'm in the right business!

Okay, order to pack for shipping, then this afternoon I've got a hair appointment. I have no idea what I'm going to have done, but I'm ready for a radical change. I'll post pics, providing I look okay.

2 comments:

dyann hunter said...

Oh Wow! I can't wait to see what you've done with your hair!

Can I ask what the difference is between French Macaroons and regular macaroons, because they really are one of favorite cookies of all time?

What are you up to next week? Say Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday? I want to get together for drinks, give you these baking cups, and see your hair! :-)

Maura said...

Damn...I wish I lived closer to you. Of course, I'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe to accommodate my new waistline but what the heck, it'd be worth it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...