Monday, October 19, 2009

Whip It Real Good



Friday I went to the movies for the first time in forever (I believe it may have been the first time in 2009) which is unusual for me but with the business plus raising an 88 year old I never have time. But I had received a summons for Grand Jury duty so Mom was home to watch The Graminator and I had already done my hair and makeup (wow, makeup, I know but for me it's a feat) when the court called to tell me I had been excused and didn't need to go. So I decided to get some supplies for a cake I'm doing and go to the movies.

I went to see "Whip It", the roller derby themed directorial debut of Drew Barrymore. It was terrific and I give it two very enthusiastic thumbs up. *SPOILER ALERT* Don't read more if you don't want to know about the film!

Ellen Page (Juno) plays Bliss, a small town Texas teen who doesn't quite fit in. She's not a square peg in a round hole, she just hasn't found her niche yet. When a classmate says to her, "So, you're alternative now?" she answers quizzically "Alternative to what?" Bliss tries to be a good daughter, competing in the town's beauty pageant to please her mother, a former Miss Blue Bell herself who now delivers the mail and lives in a tiny house and pins her lost dreams on her two daughters. Bliss' father loves his kids but can't quite relate to all that estrogen so he watches a lot of football (and looks longingly at the guy next door with his two rough and tumble sons.)

Bliss and her best friend Pash sneak off the bright lights of Austin one Friday night to see an exhibition match of the Texas roller derby league. After the excitement of her first encounter with derby, Bliss tells the captain of the Hurl Scouts ( the losingest team in the league) that "You're my new heros." Maggie (Kristen Wigg from SNL) tells her to come to try outs and "be your own hero".

Bliss straps on her Barbie roller skates and even though she's too timid to hit anyone, makes the Hurl Scouts. Her journey to become "Babe Ruthless" through derby is a fairly typical coming of age story. All of the things that happen to Bliss probably would have happened to her in college anyway. But derby teaches Bliss to stand up for what she wants, to be her own person, even if that person isn't 'mainstream' and that men are pigs (sorry guys). Sure, she takes some hits along the way, but the derby metaphor holds. If you get up, keep going and get a little help from the team, you can "Whip it".

This movie was Girl Power to the max but so much fun that I think even men would like it. It's less about Roller Derby and more about learning about yourself and your relationships with people around you. How the people who may not understand you can still love you and how important family is, whether they are you 'real' family or your teammates.

Brilliant performances by the cast, including Marcia Gay Harden as Bliss's postal carrier mom (I adore her as an actress but find her arched eyebrows just a bit distracting), Andrew Wilson as the Hurl Scouts' coach (he's the third and most underused of the Wilson brothers, Luke and Owen. He has their talent and he's as good looking so I don't know why he isn't in more movies), Juliette Lewis who was awesome as "Iron Maven" the rival team captain who fears that Bliss is going to steal her last chance at a moment of glory, and Daniel Stern as Bliss' dad, who had one of my favorite moments of the film. (Putting out his own yard sign of pride.)

The credits end with the dedication something like (I'm paraphrasing, sorry) "For all the girls who think they can, you can!" and that's how I felt leaving the theater. Empowered and happy. I've heard that some 'real' roller girls aren't happy, that they felt the derby stuff wasn't realistic enough but again, the movie wasn't about derby as much as it was about people. And I learned more about derby than I expected. My grandparents used to watch derby when I was a kid but that's about all I knew. Now I understand how it's played.

Drew did a great job directing, relegating herself to a fairly minor character, the Whole Foods cashier by day and roller derby "Smashley Simpson" by night. The scenes were well shot, the pacing was great and the movie never lost it's focus on Bliss.

I don't roller skate (fear of falling down) and I could never be a roller girl (see fear of falling down compounded with fear of elbows to head, flying over railings and concussion) but I loved the power and freedom those girls had. So while I may not be a derby girl on the track, I'm a derby girl at heart. They all had such awesome names that I wanted my own derby name. So just call me "Ginger Wail" as I wail on you while I pass you on the imaginary track in my head!

2 comments:

Maura said...

I didn't read past your spoiler alert - thanks for doing that by the way - but I did read a short review for this film somewhere else and was interested in seeing it. Now that you have rated it, I'm doubly interested in seeing it.

I haven't been getting out to the movies anywhere at all near as much as I would like to either. I saw District 9 a month or two ago. It was ok. Before that I think it was the last Harry Potter movie.

I'm so glad you got and had a day for yourself. It's important to do that every once in a while. And I'm glad to hear the business is still going strong. Woo Hoo!

I'm still knee deep in drama queen crap but I think it should be much better by the end of this month. At which point I hope to be a better blogger!!

dyann hunter said...

Ditto with me and the movies, but great review. I'll be putting it on the Netflix queue for sure.
~Razor Burns

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...