Monday, July 05, 2010

Spilling Guts

I know it's been a while since I have blogged, claiming the excuse that am too 'busy' but I realized that without writing I have all of this stuff built up that I need to purge from my soul. So let's play, catch up, okay?

The Graminator just got home from the hospital. After noticing a bit of unsteadiness and inability to swallow correctly, her doctor told us to take her to the ER, suspecting a stroke. It wasn't a stroke but it was a subdural hematoma (brain bleed). No surgery (at 89 that was just not a can of worms we wanted to open) just medication and repeat CT scans in her future. But now we have to fight to get back to where we were. It's a constant struggle and some days I feel like I'm drowning.


My beloved Java passed away in April. She was fifteen years old and acted like a puppy for all but the last three weeks of her life. I was devastated when she died. I still miss her. I have a new puppy, Blanca. She is not a substitute for Java, but a new companion. She is terrifically smart. She does not destroy my shoes (but my library books are a bit more dog eared than they should be) and she LOVES to rip Kleenex into little tiny pieces. Under my desk looks like a snow storm. I would keep her from ever getting another tissue but the Graminator leaves them everywhere. Puppy heaven.

The cutest puppy ever!

Business is going well. Cookies, cupcake, cakes and marshmallows are selling like...well, hot cakes! I'm introducing a line of French pastries on July 14th (Bastille Day). A national retailer has ordered (and ordered and ordered) samples of the marshmallows to sell in some of their upscale stores. I have stopped holding my breath because of all of the changes they have requested (new package size, new labels, etc) but it has still been an interesting process and quite flattering because of all the samples they requested from many marshmallow companies, I was told that mine were the best. Nice compliment.

Here's the new marshmallow packaging.

And French macarons!

Mom and I are working on a new business venture, working on a handcrafting business. We will be up and running, selling our products on Etsy, next week. I have had a blast learning new craft techniques. I am now crocheting, knitting, making jewelry, sewing and upcycling new and vintage clothing. Now if I could only get three more hours into a day, I would be set. But it helps to fill some emptiness that I'm too afraid to examine or define.

The first necklace I designed. It's called "Blue Roses"

I have to go check on the puppy and the patient. But I will post more soon, whether I still have Loyal Readers or not, because I have missed the venting of my soul. If you are still out there, Loyal Readers, I missed you!

3 comments:

Chandler:) said...

I look forward to Glitter City Omnimedia!

Maura said...

I've missed you, too! And I have been just as neglectful of my own blog so I certainly can't cast any stones.

I'm so sorry to hear about Java. That's the flip side of having a pet. They bring you such joy and unconditional love but just break your heart with their passing. But I am happy to make Blanca's acquaintance and I am looking forward to seeing more of her pretty pictures.

How exciting about the mallows and that retailer! I can't wait to see Glitter City Sweets in a store near me!! I will be sure to tell everyone "I knew her when...." Good luck!

I'm looking forward to seeing your crafts business, too. Your energy and creativity amazes me.

There's great magazine called Artful Blogging and it is primarily about folks in web-based craft businesses and how their blogs have helped to promote their business. Take a look when you have a minute. The pictures are usually gorgeous and inspirational.

Glad to hear from you again. You've inspired me to get cracking on a blog entry so hopefully I'll get to it soon!

dyann hunter said...

I'm playing some catch up on your blog! I haven't forgotten ya!

Poor Java! He will be missed, but Blanca is absolutely adorable.

That's so great about GCS doing well and possible branching out! I just referred a friend to you, telling her you had the best treats imaginable!

I just recently heard about Etsy and had to look it up. It sounds like an awesome venue. And to have your mother in on it with you will be cool.

Glad you're still involved in the acting biz, too. I make sure to check out what's new with you on FB.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...