Friday, December 12, 2008

Favorite Christmas Films


Since I told you how much I love Christmas movies, here is my list of favorites (in no particular order, since that would be like picking a favorite child.)

A House Without a Christmas Tree (yay Maura for remembering this one too!) - 1972, Jason Robards as a grumpy widower who learns the value of Christmas from his daughter.
Borrowed Hearts - 1997, Eric McCormack and Roma Downey as a single mom and wealthy guy who pretend to be married so he can sell his company. It has Hector Elizondo. I love Hector.
Christmas Comes to Willow Creek - 1987, The Dukes of Hazard (okay, just the actors from) save a small town's Christmas
The Santa Clause 2 - 2002 Tim Allen in the 'romantic' one of the trilogy. Directed by Michael Lembeck. Anyone besides me remember when he was on "One Day at a Time"?
Miracle on 34th Street - 1947, the classic with Maureen O'Hara, Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle and Natalie Wood. Love it.
Home Alone - 1990, Worth it just to see the house Macauly Culkin lives in. Beautiful. I want to live there. And it has John Candy too.
A Christmas Story-1983, I saw this in the theater when I was a kid. I still shudder when the kid sticks his tongue to the flagpole.
Comfort & Joy - 2003, Nancy McKeon as a career woman who hits her head and wakes up the mother of two. Scary stuff. But the guy who plays her husband is adorable.
Love, Actually - 2003, I love this film anytime of the year. I showed it to my mom for the first time this year and she cried. Great movie. Love the character of "Colin Frizzle". And of course, Colin Firth is in it, so it's an automatic win.
A Boyfriend for Christmas - 2004, The title says it all. Wish someone would get me a boyfriend for Christmas. (hint, hint)
Elf - 2003, Will Farrell at his best. Bob Newhart...need I say more?

Okay, those are my favorites. But don't forget the Christmas specials too, like the classic Rankin/Bass stop-motion animated ones like "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" (my favorite, with the Burgermeister Meisterburgerer) and "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" and of course, "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Oh, and the Christmas TV episodes, like the one on "Family Ties" where Alex P. Keaton gets the Scrooge lesson and buys his family presents at the 7-11. (You can catch the episode on Fancast.)

What are your favorites? I hope they bring back wonderful holiday memories like this list did for me!

2 comments:

Maura said...

I've see most of these and enjoy them as well. Larry doesn't understand why seeing A Charlie Brown Christmas is so important to me every year. But it just brings back such fond memories. We all used to look forward to seeing it and it was all the better if we had candy canes to eat while we watched it.

So enjoy your holiday movies, Shae! They really are part of the season!

dyann hunter said...

My favs are Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (claymation rocks!)"She thinks I'b cute!" is one of my favorite lines ever!

While You Were Sleeping and Edward Scissorhands are up there, too. Anything romantic of course...

;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...