Thursday, December 18, 2008

Somebody Up There Is Messing With Me!



Okay, yesterday it started to snow. And stick! I got so excited. I called my mom. I called Val. I called Will. The news reported that we would get six to ten inches. I went outside and played, catching flakes on my tongue. And then...nothing. In a strange turn of events (one that even the weather forecasters were hard pressed to explain) the North and West sides of town warmed up (after dark?) and it turned to rain. So while the South and East sides of town got three or more inches of snow (and Boulder City got eight inches!) my house got NONE. Zip. Zilch.

Now usually the North and West, because they are higher in elevation, get the most snow. But not this time. There was enough snow that roads in and out of Las Vegas were closed. The airport was closed (The FAA said it was due to visibility). Officially they recorded 3.6 inches of snow. Pictures from the South end of the valley show a snow covered winter wonderland. But at my house it's just wet. No snow. I had flakes over maybe a quarter of my yard for about two hours. The weather man says they experienced 'cold-hugging' on the South side which is why they got all the snow. Well I would have gladly hugged the cold. They cancelled school for the first time since the 1979 storm, even though my neighborhood is clear. I think they just wanted to have an extra Christmas shopping day, but good for Val. And my brother gets to go to work late, due to icy road conditions near where he works.

Look, I'm not begrudging anyone their snow. But couldn't they share? I could have used an inch. I even went to bed last night praying that over night we would get a little. But I woke up to what little snow we had gone, already melted. Is Mother Nature just laughing at me? I'm sad.

I made the best of it. I played outside while it snowed. But I would have liked a little more. Still, we got a snow storm. It just missed my house.

Here are the pictures of the pathetic snow at my house. Hey, it stuck to the ground. I'll be okay with that but I wish I could have made a snowman. Instead I made an ice cube.

3 comments:

dyann hunter said...

Poor Shae! My house and Sunset Station (where I work) got pummeled! I'm going to post some pictures...Sorry, you didn't get your Winter Wonderland. But I was in it down in Henderson. You would have loved it.

Shae said...

I'm jealous, I'd love to see pics!

Maura said...

Oh no! That sucks! I think Mother Nature does indeed have a twisted sense of humor. I'm almost afraid to tell you what it's doing outside my window this very minute.

I think you really need to put a Christmas vacation in the mountains somewhere on your "Things I Need To Do Before I Die" list.

In the meantime, they are forecasting six to ten inches here by tonight. You are certainly welcome to come and help shovel it! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...