Friday, September 18, 2009

But Was The Custard Good?

Okay, let's settle this once and for all. Recently, writer/actress Mindy Kaling (better known as Kelly Kapoor on "The Office") was on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. On a previous occasion when Mindy told Craig that she was coming to Las Vegas, he recommended that she go to Luv-It Custard, a venerable institution devoted to deliciousness. (Craig loves Luv-It and we love Craig.)

Mindy was angry that Craig had recommended it, not because it wasn't good, but because it was in the "most dangerous and sketchiest neighborhood I have ever been in, in my life". This has caused a wave of Mindy hatred in Vegas. Now, I will admit that I'm not a fan of hers to begin with and I thought her personality in the interview left a lot to be desired. And I find it hard to believe that she's never been anywhere worse. But people, Luv-It IS in a sketchy neighborhood!

For those who have never been, Luv-It sits about a half a block east of the famed "Strip" on Oakey, which puts it in what is referred to by reporters and police officers as the "Naked City". This is an older (I.e. run down) area known for drugs, prostitution, crime, etc. Yup, dangerous and sketchy by just about any one's standards. Most dangerous? Not hardly, I can take her to a few places where you wouldn't want to slow your car down, even for a flat tire.

Mindy kept saying things like "I expected Vegas to be like in the movies, like Ocean's 13". Well, it can be. if you never leave the Strip and stay south of Sahara, then it's exactly like the pictures in the movies. But outside of the tourist bubble, it's a real town with real people and yes, real crime. (Uh, hello, CSI is based here too, remember?)

But back to Luv-It. I never recommend it without warning people about the neighborhood. It shares it's parking lot with a 'gentleman's club' (a stripper club) and a convenience store with a sign that says "we don't sell single cigs" to let the wandering homeless know that they need to wash enough windshields to buy the whole pack of 'cigs'. Luv-It has a walk-up order window and no place to sit so you have to eat the frozen custard in your car, or while milling about this parking lot. (It is also right by my old eye doctor's office, which is why I loved the eye doctor as a kid. A doctor that never gave shots and was next to the best ice cream in the world? Rock on.)

For those in the know, Luv-It also exists in what I think of as a sort of 'green zone'. Crime does not occur at Luv-It. It is beloved by all and so it is respected enough that you can go there in peace and safety. Which is only one of the reasons for long lines nearly every day of the year.

The other reason? Luv-It is freakin' AWESOME! Delicious homemade frozen custard. I cannot say enough about it, it really is the best I've ever had (and I have eaten me some ice cream, no doubt). We are going this Sunday to celebrate, well, never mind what, but I am already torn because one of the flavors is fresh Banana Nut, but I also want my traditional Desert Sundae (custard, hot fudge, homemade marshmallow cream and pecans, to die for!) Would I be a pig if I got my sundae and brought home the banana nut?

So people, don't ready the tar and feathers for actress Mindy Kaling just yet. She's just another vapid Hollywood celebrity who wants everything to be pretty instead of real. If she doesn't want to go to Luv-it, it just leaves more custard for the rest of us! (Oh, and by the way, she did admit the custard was worth risking her life for, so there.)

Here is the interview.

3 comments:

Maura said...

My Bronx roots laugh at her sissiness! I could show her a few 'sketchy' neighborhoods. A half dressed homeless guy would be the least of her worries.

I had forgotten all about how some bodegas would sell loose cigarettes. Back when I was a poor, smoking teenager that's how I would buy them sometimes.

Enjoy your custard this weekend. And definitely bring home the banana nut!

Chandler:) said...

I love Luv-It BECAUSE of the neighborhood. I could not feel more at home having a Western Sundae (think Turtle candy: hot fudge, caramel and pecans- TDF) next to a skid row hooker with heroin tracks up her arm having a lemon sugar cone.

Now THAT'S VEGAS BAY-BEE!

And, silly girl, of course bring home the banana nut.

dyann hunter said...

Craig handled the whole thing with perfect comic ease...LOVE him. I still like Mindy no matter what. She's a brilliant writer! :-) I'll have to try the custard and bring a couple big dudes with me when I head out there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...