Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Things I'm Working On


I will go into more detail later but I had the most lovely (and incredibly overpriced) macaroon from Jean Phillipe Patisserie at the Bellagio. It was called a "Rose Macaroon" and was described as a "raspberry macaroon with rose cream and fresh raspberries". We are talking French macaroon here, not the American coconut kind. Since I have lately been obsessed with flavoring things with rose and violet and lavender, I had to try it. It was beautiful, crowned with a sugared rose petal. It was also $6.50. But again, I had to try it and I figure it is a business expense in the name of research, so I can write it off, right?

Well, there was no discernible rose flavor (even in the petal, though I munched on it happily anyway) but the raspberries were marvelous plump, fresh little morsels. I shared my tiny treasure with Mom and the Graminator so I only got a couple of bites but it was enough to convince me that I need to learn to make French macaroons. I never liked the coconut kind except for one I made but have since lost the recipe for, but the French version is more like a meringue with a ground almond base and since I adore meringue, it's right up my alley.

I am also going to make Black and White cookies of the New York bakery variety, which aren't really a cookie at all but more of a flat cupcake. I adore them and haven't had a true Black and White in years. Once I get them perfected, I think I'm going to call my friend Antonia to try them. She's a real New Yorker plus her husband used to work in a bakery in New York so I'm sure she can tell me if I get it right. And I haven't practiced my New York accent in a while so I'd love to spend some time with her!

Today I'm making gougeres, which are savory cream puffs with cheese. I'm going to Americanize them with a bit of jalapeno cheese instead of the traditional gruyere. And since I'll have the pate choux already, I think a few eclairs will be in order. In fact, I'm off to make the pastry cream filling. Jealous? Well, don't be, my ass will pay the price later on! Besides, you can always order them from Glitter City Sweets! (Superfluous plug for the day, check.)

2 comments:

Maura said...

Black and White Cookies!!!! Oh, we had a great bakery in the Bronx that made the best B&Ws. They were Noreen's particular favorite. I don't think we have ever found any as good since. Maybe yours will be the ones! Keepin' my fingers crossed - good luck!

Shae said...

When I get them perfected, I'll send some to Noreen for 'expert' approval!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...