Friday, September 04, 2009

Whew!

I know it's been so long, Loyal Readers, and I have to apologize. Glitter City Sweets has eaten a huge chunk of my time. I barely had time to breathe.

First we had a bridal show with a large chain bridal store where I set out cake for tasting for the brides, grooms and assorted bridesmaids, moms, etc. Plus I made 180 little embossed wedding cookies to go in each bride's 'goodie' bag. I manned the store on the west side of town while my wonderful sister-in-law and adorable brother manned the store in Henderson.

For the event, which was titled "Girls Night Out" I invented little cupcake shooters, a small two-bite cake in a little souffle cup. For this event I made them in cocktail type flavors - Pomegranate Cosmopolitan, Mojito, Chocolate Martini and Shirley Temple (in case someone didn't want to imbibe.) They were a HUGE hit although the number on question asked was "Can you get drunk on these?" (The answer is no, you'd have to eat so many that you'd go into a sugar coma first!)


Since weddings are planned months, sometimes years, in advance, it will be a while before I know how successful the event was, at least in terms of selling cakes and favors. In terms of selling cupcakes, it was a huge success. My brother took the leftovers from his location to his job the next day to share with his co-workers (he even set up a cute little display.) From that I got an order for 48 cupcake shooters, a possible cake order and an invitation to put my advertisements into the bags of his company's upcoming health fair. (I know my product isn't exactly 'healthy' but everyone deserves a treat and most of my marshmallows are fat free.) That's two thousand potential customers, who are teachers, so they have lots of opportunity to need treats.

After the bridal fair was over I had to get to work on a huge corporate order for logo cookies. We did 12 dozen cookies with two different logos for a company based out of Arizona. The cookies went to Louisiana, California, Georgia, Michigan, and Washington. They were absolutely adorable! I also had an order for a couple hundred strawberry marshmallow for an engagement party this weekend in New Jersey that had to go out. (Congrats to the happy couple!) Then an order for another hundred cupcake shooters. Just when I though I could breathe, three more orders came in!


So I guess you can say that business is going well. I was even looking for a retail location, which I found, but even though they offered me the price I was looking for (thanks Mr. Becker! And if you are ever looking for commercial real estate in Las Vegas, call BEKS Group, they are so incredibly nice) I sat down and crunched the numbers and I just think I am under capitalized at the moment. I fretted and stressed and finally, on advice from my good friend - and great attorney, Tina Yan - I decided to wait. As Tina put it, better to be too busy for the space you are in than not busy enough in a new space. It means my plans for expansion will have to wait, but I just didn't want to invest all of my savings and have it not be quite enough to make it work. I have no doubt that GCS will be that big but it takes time and time takes money. So world bakery domination is on hold at the moment. I am still searching for a larger space to rent as I am much busier that I anticipated when I first found a place that would let me bake there. But I have faith that something will come through!

Meanwhile, it's now September and in the Wilhite household that means birthday month. Yup, my brother's birthday is on Tuesday and my mom's is on Friday which means that mine is just a couple of weeks away. We are going out this Sunday to a great restaurant (Todd English's Olives at the Bellagio Hotel). It is "Restaurant Week" in Las Vegas which means that lots of high end restaurants are offering special three course meals for $20.09, $30.09 and $50.09, with some of the proceeds going to a local food bank charity, Three Square. Will and Val are going to Capital Grill tonight and we are doing Olive's on Sunday (I'd love to go to La Fiamma on Saturday...anyone? Anyone?) Since dessert is taken care of on Sunday I'm going to make the birthday cake for my mom and brother for next Sunday. It's going to be a three tier 'topsy-turvy' cake in Bananas Foster. I'll post pictures. I'll also let you know how Olives was (Still open for Saturday. Anyone? Anyone?) and I have my review of LBS Burger still to post. Stay tuned, Loyal Readers, I promise I'll be posting regularly again! XXOO

3 comments:

Chandler:) said...

I was at Craftsteak on Wednesday night and Fiamma said that they are opting out on Sat and Sun because of public events at The Grand. 30 +20 would have been wonderful.

It was my only RW meal because of my school schedule.

And stay away from L'Atelier because you will get the world's most wonderful salmon FISHSTICK!
Two bites of glory and it was gone (last year and they are doing the same menu.)

Chandler:) said...

Oh, and Olives last year was WONDERFUL. The heirloom tomato bread salad was TDF.

Bonnie Appetittee:)

Maura said...

Somehow I missed this entry when you originally posted it. All I can say is WOW! Good for you and all your goings on!!! I'm so happy for you.
And I am so glad you are using your smarts and waiting on renting a bigger space. So many good businesses go under because the rents kill them.

I showed the pictures you sent me to my friend, Rosemary, whose daughter is getting married. She loved them. I gave her two of your cards, too. She took one for herself and one for a friend of hers who is a wedding planner. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get some business from some rich Connecticut bride!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...