Friday, July 11, 2008

Doggy Hotel


Apparently, when you are an unemployed writer with a dog, people think you have nothing to do but watch their dog too. So I am once again dog sitting. It's fine, really, I enjoy dogs and this one is a young terrier (she looks schnauzer-ish)who is a really sweet dog. But my dog is getting a little tired of being pimped out as a 'friend' to every dog in the world. Java is thirteen and kind of grumpy (okay, she's downright bitchy) and she doesn't want to play with some upstart young pup. So I probably won't get much work done today but I'm giving it my best effort.

Speaking of dogs, did you see "Greatest American Dog" last night? Some of those people love their dogs just a bit more than is necessary. I love my dog and think she's wonderful but I have never bought her shoes and I never will. (Although she has chewed enough of my shoes that I probably should have bought her some!) Look, these dogs are cute and they can do some fun tricks but ultimately, they are just dogs who want to play and have fun, not prance around in Prada's. But I loved the part where the little Boston stole the bulldog's skateboard. So something my dog would do. Ultimately this show is watchable for the dogs, but I hate most of the owners.

Okay, I'm going to try to get some work done while the dogs are quiet. Call me if you need doggy day care!

2 comments:

Maura said...

Dogs are great fun but they can be distracting, especially when you add a visiting pooch to the mix. My sister dogsits for one of her friends and she says it really impacts her sleep. Her own dog and the one she sits for are both dachsunds (mother and daughter, actually) and they both sleep with her. Of course, they are both used to having the sole attention of their owners and the 'best' spot on the bed so a good deal of puppy pushing, shoving, and nipping goes on.

I saw about a minute of the dog show last night. One of the owners was blathering on about something stupid so I switched. I'm a dog lover myself, but you do have to draw the line somewhere. Have you ever read any of the James Herriot books? "All Creatures Great and Small" is the first one, I think. In it, he tells many moving and often funny stories of his life as a country veternarian in rural England. One of his customers is a very rich, eccentric old woman who totally dotes on her little dog. He at one point takes the dog away from her for a time so he can put it on a diet (she is incapable of not feeding it rich fattening food all day long). He goes on to say how she sends care packages that include expensive brandy for the dog to his home and how he and his housemates toast the dog while enjoying the brandy themselves. They are very good books and I recommend them if you haven't read them yet.

dyann hunter said...

My former boss raves about "All Creatures Great and Small," Maura!

I love dogs, but I have cats. I love them, too, it's just dogs are more responsibility and I really hate that stuff ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...