Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Graminator


Okay, here's the latest update. Apparently there isn't a surgery for a broken pelvic bone. You can have hip surgery all day long, even replace your hip, but for a stable pelvic fracture it's just bed rest and pain mediation. She will have to go to a rehabilitation hospital for a while for rest and physical therapy. I guess no surgery is good in a way, she won't have to go through the trauma of anesthesia, etc. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and disturbances to her routine are very upsetting and really cause her to get disoriented. No need to add to the problem if it isn't necessary.

They were going to transfer her to the rehab facility last night but then she had some nausea and vomiting so her nurse called her doctor and they put the transfer on hold until they could make sure everything was okay. I think it was just because she hadn't eaten anything for more than 36 hours and then all she wanted was ice cream. With the morphine it was probably just to much for her stomach.

There are three possible facilities to transfer her to and the only thing we asked was just not to Henderson as my mother cannot drive out there to visit her. (My mother cannot drive on freeways or make left hand turns without a light and she gets stressed when driving 'out of her comfort zone and since she has a heart condition, we try not to make it any worse for her than we can) so they are sending her to...Henderson. Of course. Gotta love the HMO. The case worker told me I can request a transfer to one of the other facilities as soon as a bed there opens up. But since she had to stay at the hospital last night after all I'm going to try again today to see if they can't get her into a closer facility (and by closer I mean that none of these facilities is anywhere near our house but at least the one by Sunrise is in familiar territory for my mom.

I posted a picture of Grandma playing Wii. Isn't she cute?

Thanks for all of the best wishes for my Gran. Your thoughts ad prayers are greatly appreciated. At 87, everything is such a concern. As my dad's friend Gary said to me the other night, getting old isn't for wimps!

2 comments:

Maura said...

The Graminator is indeed adorable! I hope her recovery goes smoothly. How long will she have to stay in the rehab facility?

I hope you are able to move her to a more convenient facility. I totally empathize with your mom. When I first learned to drive, left hand turns across traffic without an arrow light absolutely terrified me. I have gotten better about it over the years, but I'm always that much happier if there is a light.

Hang in there! This too shall pass.

dyann hunter said...

What a cutie! I hope you can get the move accomplished soon.

All my "older" friends tell me not to grow old gracefully, but to fight it tooth and nail.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...