Monday, July 07, 2008

Are You Supposed To Be Tired After A Holiday Weekend?


Okay, it was a lovely holiday weekend but I think I'm more tired than I was before!

Friday was a lovely barbecue - I made slider sized hamburgers, potato salad, homemade baked beans, corn on the cob and a blueberry pie that stuck to the pan terribly (which is probably why the recipe said to use parchment paper but I didn't have any so I used foil but it definitely needed the parchment) but the pie, once scraped into a bowl with some vanilla ice cream was still delicious. We then played Wii. I rented some games and we loved "Carnival Games" which was all those midway game you see at fairs. It was fun. And we rented "Smarty Pants", which is a trivia game. My brother really like that one, probably because he beat me, two games to one. I'll be honest, I usually kick butt in trivia (hey, I was on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" after all) but he was on fire. After Will and Val left I went outside to watch the fireworks around the neighborhood. I was amazed at all the aerial fireworks. (are those legal? They never had those when I was a kid!) The fireworks scared my dog, Java. It was kind of funny, in the house she was all brave and barky but when we went outside she got all scared and wanted to be held.

Saturday I had a meeting at Smidgits where I got assigned by "Captain Kelly" to start handling promotions on a couple of Internet channels. We have a script read through tomorrow. There is a lot of work and I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Sunday Will and Val came over and we ordered pizza (N.Y. Pizza and Pasta, they are delicious!) and played more Wii. This time it was "Beach Sports". There are several games on it too and we played Bocce (Will won, but once again my mom picked it up so fast, she was like some Bocce queen) and Disc Golf (like Frisbee Golf). It was funny to be playing games that are played outdoors but indoors. It was better than playing in 108+ degree heat. (The heat just sucks the energy right out of me.)

Then I watched the movies "Semi-Pro" with Will Farrell and "Vantage Point" with Dennis Quaid. I really liked "Vantage Point", it was an interesting way to tell the story, even though I had some parts figured out ahead of time. It was definitely a thriller and it kept me thinking the whole time so I give it a "rent this" rating. I wasn't as impressed with "Semi-Pro" (gulp, now I bring down the wrath of the Farrell-ites). It seemed that the movie couldn't decided what it wanted to be, a raunchy comedy or an underdog sports movie. It ended up being neither very well. The whole story line with Woody Harrelson was completely lost (or so badly underwritten that it came across as really pointless). I think the writers tried to re-write "Major League" into a basketball movie then added the "Will Farrell" tone to it. Trust me when I say it, "Major League" did it much better. There was one funny line, when Will Farrell's character says "It's just like the Titanic, but it's full of bears." It's the only line that made me laugh.

So when I read back, it seems like all I did was have fun this weekend. But I'm tired. Who knew having all that fun could be more tiring than working?

2 comments:

Maura said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday weekend. Good for you! We had a barbeque also and it was a lot of fun.

I didn't know you had been on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." When was this? Back in prime time with Regis or on the daytime version with Meredith? How did you do? Did you make it past the fastest finger question? I used to watch it all the time when it was on prime time - I'm a trivia nut, too - so maybe I even saw you. I've always been sorry I never tried out for that show. If made it to the chair, I'm confident I would have made it to at least the 32,000 mark. I always did at home, anyway. Good for you for going after it!!

Shae said...

Hey Maura!
Glad you have an awesome Fourth.

I was on "MIllionaire" back in 2001, the Regis prime time era. I won $64k. Of course after Uncle Sam takes his share that comes to eleven dollars and eighty-five cents. Getting on was one of those twists of fate, I had tried forever on the phone and never got 'the call', then they came to Vegas to audition people and a few weeks later I was in New York. It was so wonderful. I had never been to NYC before so that was fun and I was the last contestant of the night and had to come back "the next day" only the next day was two weeks later so I actually got two trips out of it.
I'm a huge trivia nut, I always said I could have cured cancer if I didn't have useless facts stuck in my brain. But they weren't completely useless after all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...