Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

As a red-haired (well, with assistance I'm red-haired), green eyed girl named Shae (Shea is a Gaelic name but my dad was a notoriously bad speller) I have an affinity for all things Irish. I'm not as Irish as my friend Maura, who still has relatives who live in Ireland, but my dream is to visit the 'old sod' when I sell my first book. So today, in honor of the most revered Irish-American holiday (I don't know if they make as big a deal out of it in actual Ireland, dying their beer green and such) I give you my tribute to Ireland.

Here is a video by Flogging Molly, the song is "If I Ever Leave This World Alive". (Thanks to my friend Traci for turning me on to them. I had actually heard them before and liked them but didn't know their name. I love this song.)


These are pictures of a converted parochial school in County Clare that you can rent to stay in. It's like $450 dollars a week (thanks to a dropping Euro.) They have turf fireplaces and are near the ocean and a short walk to three pubs. Lovely little stone cottages that I want to stay in and wrap myself in a fine Irish sweater and write some Gothic romantic tale.




Tonight we are having the corned beef and cabbage that I cured myself. (I hope it's okay or we are in trouble!) With lots of root veggies and some soda bread. And of course I'm turning the leftovers into delicious hash. (Or at least that's the plan.)



I want to curl up today with a bunch of Irish themed movies (For romance I choose "Circle of Friends", for music and beautiful Irish scenery I would choose "P.S. I Love You" but I don't want to cry.) I wish you the luck of the Irish, with shamrocks and leprechauns. And I raise a pint, in your honor Loyal Readers! Happy St. Patty's Day!

2 comments:

Maura said...

And a Happy St. Paddy's Day to you, too! I just saw PS I Love You a few weeks ago. I liked it a lot and the scenes in Ireland were indeed beautifully shot. I hope you do get to visit there someday. I have been twice and loved it both times. It helps that I have family there so part of the enjoyment is visiting my relatives. But it is a great country with great people. The pubs are great fun and the countryside just can't be beat for sheer beauty - that's why any movie that's shot there always looks so good.

That renovated school sounds interesting. Be forewarned, though, the definition of a 'short walk' in Ireland can be quite different than it is here. They will sometimes consider a hike of a couple of miles a 'short walk.' Not always, but it can happen depending on who you happen to be speaking with.

Larry was supposed to make corned beef and cabbage tonight but he forgot to come home at lunch time and turn on the crock pot! :( Oh well, we will just have it tomorrow. Larry didn't cure the meat himself, though. I gotta give you props for that!

I hadn't heard of Flogging Molly before. That song sounded fun. I'll have to look for more of their stuff.

And in honor of the day, let me wish you the following traditional Irish blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

dyann hunter said...

I had corned beef and cabbage at work for lunch and then at night for dinner....It was yummy! I'm a moucher, so I made nothing, but I had plenty and some soda bread, too. And Rob put four drops of green food coloring in my Corona and everything that came out of me was green for the rest of the night. I know, TMI.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...