Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weddings, Weddings Everywhere!

We are less than two months from the big day and things are in full swing.

I have painted 72 gum paste cherry blossoms. Actually, I painted 90 but I dropped a box which shattered like glass and I was only able to save 3 unbroken ones, so I have one more box to paint. The cupcake flavors are set and I am going to do a trial run of the little wedding cake this weekend. I don't know what filling it will have but I'm going to do a marble cake since the bride and groom can't decide between white and chocolate cake. I have to practice the branches the blossoms will rest on. They come up the sides of the tiers so I need to be able to make it right.

Breaking the box of flowers meant I had to order more which meant actually ordering at least fifty dollars worth of stuff since that is the minimum order. The place I have been ordering from, Pfeil and Holing, is a bakers dream. They are for the professional and semi-pro baker and every time I go to the site I'm like a kid in a candy store (and since they sell edible decorations it is sort of an actual candy store.) So I ordered an offset spatula, a disher (which is like an ice cream scoop and 'dishes' out a measured amount, so all the cupcakes will be uniform in size), cake ruffle (a pretty decorative edging to put on the cake stand) and some cake dummies (Styrofoam 'cakes' for making those fake cakes you see on display at bakeries.) My mom wants me to go into the wedding business and I may have to just to recoup my investment in this one. The last order had the original flowers plus the cake stand, the pans for the 8" and 6" tiers and some professional pastry bags and tips (i have long wanted these bags and now I had an excuse to get them!) In total a lot of money spent so I hope I can do the cake justice.

The shower is a week from Sunday. Since the house is in the middle of redecorating, we are having it at a tea house. It will be an afternoon "high tea" with tea and scones and that sort of thing. I still have only received one RSVP, seriously, how hard is it to drop an email saying yes or no? The 'deadline' is Sunday so I guess I just have to be patient until then. My friend Tracy, who makes these great soaps and lotions and stuff (seriously, check out her store, she makes cool stuff with emu oil and smelly good stuff), is making me some chai tea soap that we will wrap in a tea themed fabric as shower favors. I have the decorations for the table so all I have left to do is figure out some shower games and prizes (suggestions anyone?)

We are going shopping this afternoon to find The Graminator a dress for the wedding and one for the shower and rehearsal dinner (can you still call it a rehearsal dinner if there is no rehearsal?). My mom has her dresses already but needs some Spanx to suck it all in (don't we all!) I'm going to look for a dress too but it has to be cheap because I'm running out of cash, but since we are going to Ross, I have hope. Then on to Target to get a shower gift.



My wedding ensemble is set except for jewelry. I found this incredible pendant that I'm hoping to make into my wedding jewelry. It's made by this Hill Tribe in Thailand and it's not just pretty but fair trade as well. The only problem is that it is coming from Thailand so I'm hoping it arrives in time for me to do something other than just put it on a chain or ribbon. The site said usually seven to fourteen days but leave as much as 8 weeks. I ordered it at the 9 week mark so my fingers are crossed that it doesn't take that long. Isn't it pretty? And it was less than twelve bucks. I saw it on some custom jewelry sites at more than ten times the price but I went Googling around and found the source. It should look lovely and it totally fits the cherry blossom theme.

So, does anyone out there need a wedding cake or coordinator? Because I'm available and getting pretty good at it. I'll post some pictures of the 'trial' cake after I make it this weekend!

2 comments:

Maura said...

Man, I just read your last two entries at once. Where the heck do you get your energy?!?!?! I get tired just reading about all the stuff you do!

Your wedding prep plans sound wonderful. I can't wait to see the pictures. And you might well consider becoming some kind of wedding planner/caterer. Your knack for finding cost efficient ways of doing things combined with your love of cooking and baking could be very well received in these troubled economic times.

And speaking of that, I meant to comment on your other post that I agree with you one hundred percent that they need to lighten up on all the negative economy stuff. I especially have trouble when they start talking about the dollar amounts - x number of billions here, a trillion there. I know this is naive of me but those just sound like made up numbers to me. I can't wrap my head around those numbers. Just tell me what's being done to fix the problems and let me know if there is anything I can do to help speed up the recovery process.

Anyway, back to a happier topic. You definitely have to post pictures of your jewelry when you have it finished. The piece you ordered looks gorgeous.

Will and Val are so lucky to have you to help them with all this stuff. I'm sure the wedding is going to be gorgeous!

dyann hunter said...

That pendant is gorgeous. If it came in silver, I'd be on it. :-)

And when I get married, you can do it. Even if I'm not in Vegas at that time, I'll fly you out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...