Friday, March 20, 2009

This, That and the Other Thing

It's a busy weekend for me. Today we have a table read for YP (That's the initials of the title of the movie I'm staring in...I know I'm not a star but I just love saying that!) and Sunday is Val's bridal shower and I still haven't figured out what games we are playing or what prizes to give for the unknown games. Thank goodness the shower is at the tea house so I don't have to deal with food...except for the two dozen cupcakes currently sitting on my counter waiting to be frosted so I can take them to the table read.

The wedding is six weeks away and I still need to lose five pounds and get a pair of Spanx so it looks like I lost ten pounds. I'm doing Script Frenzy in April. (It's like NaNoWriMo, except that instead of writing a novel in 30 days yo write a script in 30 days). We start filming YP two days after the wedding. Am I crazy? Yes, but we already knew that.

I need Christmas sweaters for the film. Lots of Christmas sweaters. I wear at least thirteen different Christmas sweaters in the film (it may be more but I have to ask my director about a couple of different scenes). I counted them in the script last night. I though that I would need maybe six. But thirteen? I have three that I bought at a local thrift store but when I went back last week to look for more they had changed over to their summer stock and had none. Now I'm getting worried, because I need so many more. So I sent out an SOS last night and I'm pleading to you today, Loyal Readers. Send me your tired, your poor, your tacky. I need any Christmas apparel you can loan me. I'm not picky about size because in addition to having to wear thirteen different sweaters I also have to show off a rack of sweaters that my character paid $10K for. I'm going to hit a couple of thrift stores today in hopes that they might have some hiding way in the back. I'm trying not to panic yet, or worse, think about the fact that I have to wear Christmas sweaters in Las Vegas in the summer...under hot movie lighting...with the air conditioner turned off because it makes noise while you are filming.

Also, Maura, Dyann and I are trying to motivate ourselves in our writing. (I need it way more than they do, since they each have TWO manuscripts already completed.) We are embarking on some writing exercises. So not only will you get to see my posts, Loyal Readers, but you get guest blogs too!

So here is my challenge to you, Maura and Dyann. We are going to play a round of writers tennis. I'm going to start a story, then send it to Maura who will write the middle of the story and then send it to Dyann to write the ending. We will post the finished story on our blogs. (I did reverse alphabetical order of writers this time, we can change it up in the future.) To get started, I found this writers exercise. It gives me the first line of the story to start from and I have to take it from there.

So have a great weekend Loyal Readers. And Maura, I'll send you my part of the story by Monday, so be ready. Here is the first line:

"As the plane slowly backed away from its designated gate Sam realized that..."

2 comments:

Maura said...

I LOVE the round robin story idea! That will be such fun. Noreen does some volunteer work at a food co-op in her neighborhood, and two of her co-workers there started writing a very silly story about her using the same method. Ever since then I have been wanting to give it a try.

I just posted my weekly exercise so we are definitely heading in the right direction.

A couple of years ago I was at a baby shower and they gave out a miniature cloth diaper to each guest (very miniature, you could slide it on top of your finger). Then they told us that there would be an ongoing game while the mother to be was unwrapping her presents. If anyone said the word 'baby' they had to give their diaper (and any others they may have collected during the game)to the first person who called them on it. Whoever had the most diapers at the end won the prize. It was funny because if someone said it, you had to be careful not to say it yourself when you were calling them on it. Maybe you could modify that game by giving everyone a paper flower or something and use the word 'bride' or 'groom' or something like that as the taboo word. I haven't been to a bridal shower in years so that game is all I got. :)

Good luck with your sweater hunt. I can't wait to see this movie!

dyann hunter said...

Oooo yes! I've never done story tag before, but always wanted to. This should be fun! I'm assuming these are short stories...or we can call it a novella to make it sound more hip ;-)

I wish I had a Christmas sweater, but I haven't worn one of those since I was 14! Hope you have more sentimental or pack-rattish friends around.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...