Monday, March 30, 2009

Where Do Ideas Come From?

Every story came from an idea. But where do ideas come from? What rattles around in your brain, rolling around, worried about like a bit of sand in an oyster shell until it becomes a beautiful pearl? (Or as is my case most of the time, a weird looking lump?)

Last night we were watching Jim Gaffigan's new stand up special "King Baby". If you have never heard Jim Gaffigan do comedy, you should really take a listen. He is so funny, my cheeks hurt from laughing so much. I've seen him both on TV and live, and he is truly gifted. His timing is awesome, his jokes are funny and he works clean. I actually watched the show twice (bless Comedy central for running it back to back), the first time with my mom where we just laughed our butts off (don't I wish that were actually possible) and the second time to analyze. (When I first started doing comedy I would be analyzing other comics constantly, but that took a little joy out of it so now I make myself watch it first to enjoy then analyze later.) He has his routine down cold, like when the microphone should be in his left hand to make a joke work, when to drop inflection, when to stop, when to start. It's amazingly well crafted and I only wish I could be half that good.

Here is part of his routine from last night about bacon.


Too funny. But while watching his show I heard a joke that started the wheels turning in my head. The idea for a new short film. I know there is a lot of filming going on in the future but maybe we could wedge this one in too. I don't want to give it away while I'm working on it but the title is "Spare Way to Heaven".

So that's how the genesis of this film began. A joke that made me think of something else that led me to this script. My first script, "Arnie Johnson's Big Break" was based on the "what if" scenario, in that case "what if a comic picked the wrong audience member to insult?". "Supermodels" is based on the idea that if you are a 'supermodel' instead of just a regular model that you have super powers. Ideas that germinate, then actually grow into something.

Anyway, I am excited about this new short and I have to get it all finished so I'm going to go write now. And I'm glad because it's taken me slightly away from my cookie obsession (yes, I am going ahead with the cookie favor business, so you get to see that from the beginning too, Loyal Readers. I am getting ready for the photo shoot of the cookies and I'm getting my web designer to start the project.)

So, where do your ideas come from? And once you get one, what do YOU do with it?

1 comment:

dyann hunter said...

Yay Shae for two things! One for this exciting new business venture and two for taking an idea and running with it!

Jim Gaffigan has to be one of my top 5 favorite comedians. I've seen do his stand-up here in Vegas and he was spectacular. I've followed his work since his first special on Comedy Central. Funny, I just got off the phone with Rob and told him we get to watch his show tonight because I TIVOed it.
He is one of the masters!

As for my ideas...I get them from everywhere - tv shows, movies, books, even just everyday errands. I mean, what if that guy behind you in line at the dry cleaners was a spy, or a thief, OR a werewolf! My imagine is too wild to contain sometimes... But as soon as I get an idea that sounds like something I could elaborate on, I write it down and file it with my other story ideas. I keep those files handy at all time in case I think of something to add and such.

Gosh, I'm just so excited for you and your business! And I hope to see a glimpse of this new film in production :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...