Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Wild Wedding Weekend, Part I

Sorry it has taken me so long to blog this Loyal Readers, but I have been in a tired coma since Sunday afternoon. Here is the first installment. (Part II Tomorrow, then on Friday begins the YP filming saga!)

Wow, what a weekend. Jam packed, but ultimately wonderful.

Friday started early with making frosting for the 80+ cupcakes. I set Mom to work on the Pina Colada while I did the Chocolate Ganache, Tiramisu and Cherry Cheesecake ones. Then I decorated the two tier wedding cake I had covered with fondant the night before. Bless my Kitchen-aid mixer, it got a workout. After the icing and decorating was done I packed everything for transport to Boulder City. I lined the plastic boxes (the kind you store clothes in under your bed) with gripping liner which worked out pretty well (there were a couple that fell over but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Will came over with the large SUV he had rented for the weekend to help me get it all to the hotel. Val was supposed to be there but she still wasn't ready so the groom jumped in to help. I think he was a a bit nervous and needed something to do. We were able to get everything into the car (cupcakes, cake, cake stand, flowers, suitcase, dress, favors, toasting glasses, etc.) it was awesome that he helped because now I know my little Corolla wouldn't have held it all. We made it to BC on time but the wedding coordinator was late. By the time we got everything unloaded and put into various coolers and offices and got checked into the hotel we were running about a half hour late (starting a trend that lasted all day.) But at last that gave the accident on the way back into town a chance to clear since we weren't sure we would make it back (the accident stretched for over two and a half miles of backed up traffic.) We raced to pick up Val, their dog Pax and all of the assorted things they needed and rushed back to my house where we left the superhero Will to deal with all of that while Val and I literally jumped from his car to my car to race to our mani/pedi appointments (we were 20 minutes late).

We had a great time getting our manicures and pedicures (at A Wild Hair on Buffalo and Washington) but they took forever (nearly three hours) and so we were again running late. We rushed back to my house to change clothes and put Val's dress and suitcase in my car then run to David's bridal to pick up the silk flowers for our hair then fly to the rehearsal dinner (we were about 20 minutes late.) This consistently late thing really bothered me because I'm an 'always on time' person. But we made it. We had a nice time with all of the blended family and a fairly nice dinner although I was terrible upset and angry with the restaurant, Buca di Beppo. I have eaten there many times and even been to other large parties there but the service this evening was terrible. We were never offered beverages, even though they were included in the price we paid, and we only saw wait staff when they ran in to drop of paltry amounts of food. I have since written to complain but I didn't want to embarrass our guests which is the only reason I didn't raise holy heck right there. I figured out that we could have gotten the same amount of food off the regular menu and paid less than half of what we were charged for out banquet. Appalling. Plus they never asked who the host was and they gave the check to my uncle. Thank goodness it was one of my family members who directed the check to me, I would have been mortified if the check had gone to someone in Val's family.

Will gave Russ (Val's brother and the best man) an engraved pen as his gift (It said Russ "Best Man" White). I really like Russ, he's a totally cool guy and I'm glad to add him to the family. Val gave me a bottle of perfume (Pink Sugar, I love it, it makes me smell like cotton candy) and an engraved business card holder. It's lovely, it says "Glitter City Sweets by Shae" on the top and "For My Sweet Sister" on the bottom. (By the way, that's the name of my new company, and the website should be up soon.) After dinner Val and I stopped by Walgreens (see, all of that crazy running around and I forgot my toothbrush) then headed to Boulder City to spend the night at the hotel.

The suites we had at the hotel were beautiful, really nice, but man was that bed firm. I hate beads that hard and finally gave up trying to sleep on it at about a quarter to five in the morning. I laid down on the couch in the living room of the suite. Val and I went to The Coffee Cup for breakfast (as seen on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Network then back to the hotel to shower. Marcy, the girl who did our hair and makeup came at a little before nine and curled my hair and set it. While she started work on Val, I went down to the kitchen to put the gumpaste cherry blossoms on the cupcakes. (Moisture is the enemy of gum paste so I didn't want to put them on too early.) After scurrying to and fro to get the last minute details done I headed back to the room. Will made it to the hotel (he had to go to the weigh out for his company's wellness fair and he had lost seven pounds. Unfortunately his teammates gained weight so his team won't win anything. He changed in my suite while we got ready in Val's. He looked so handsome in his suit and his blue shirt (the much discussed blue which the bride's family thought should have been pink) made his eyes look very blue. He gave me the keys to the SUV so I could drive Val to the museum (he was taking the shuttle with the guests, where he played the video I made. I heard it was a success and I was asked for extra copies.)

When Val's hair and makeup was done it was time to do my makeup and finish my hair. We both looked great but Val looked extraordinary, she was glowing. We had to rush a bit to put our dresses on and the flowers came off our flip flops. Oh well the sequins looked good anyway. I went out the front of the hotel to get the car and snuck Val out the back way so none of the guests could see her. We made it to the museum where Val had to use the restroom so I got to hold up her dress. It was just like the scene in "27 Dresses" We went to the Heritage Street here the wedding was to take place and I hid Val in the house on the end.

The museum is lovely and the Heritage street is just that, a little street with houses on both sides. There is a gazebo at the end of the street where the wedding took place and the museum set out these nice white wood benches for the guests to sit on. The men (Will, Russ and the bride's dad Randy) had gone out the day before and swathed the gazebo in ivory satin and cherry blossoms - they did a great job! The trees that lined the street were mature enough to provide the guests with shade as they waited for the ceremony. A string quartet (students from the performing arts high school where Val teaches) played classical music. It was one o'clock (the time the ceremony was set to start) when we all noticed that the minister hadn't yet arrived. No one had her phone number (it was on Val's phone which was back at the hotel.) I tried calling information but there was no listing and I tried calling the minister who recomended her but there was no answer. My final plan was to grab Russ and head to the museum's center to find a phone book and start calling the nearest chapel to see if we could find an emergency minister to come out and perform the ceremony. Randy's dad is a former minister and Randy was going to ask him to officiate (but he isn't licensed to perform ceremonies in Nevada.) Russ and I were halfway to the center when mu Uncle Stuart called to say he had found the Reverend and would have her to the site in just a few minutes (which earned him the official title of "Reverend Wrangler".

So the ceremony started a bit late, but we were finally in place and I signaled the quartet to begin the ceremony music. I walked down the short aisle, followed by Gabby, Val's niece and flower girl. Gabby ended up in front of me but that's what you get with three year olds. Then Val and Randy came out of the house and down the aisle and the tears started. Not me, but Val, Will, my mom, Val's mom and randy were all crying. The ceremony was short but sweet with Will and Val writing their own vows. Will's were simple and heartfelt and Val's took the form of a poem (which is only fitting for an English teacher.) The minister pronounced them married and I let out a whoop. We took pictures while the guest were invited to tour the museum. We took lots and lots of pictures, none of which I have because I left my camera at the hotel (see why I don't like rushing?) There is even a picture with all of both families (it's good to have a small family sometimes.) We headed back for the shuttle (I took Will's seat so he could drive Val back in the SUV.) We had a great shuttle driver and it was awesome to have the handicap shuttle so The Graminator didn't have to even get out of her chair.

Okay, Part II - The Reception, is tomorrow!

1 comment:

Maura said...

Well, in spite of the chronic lateness (and, come on, you knew that was gonna happen)it sounds like everything went well. I'm so glad for you, especially after all your hard work. I'm looking forward to hearing about the reception and I can't wait to see the pictures. Go get that camera back!! :)

I think every bride and her attendants go through the bathroom scene. I didn't see 27 Dresses, but I was a bridesmaid for my cousin and she had a dress with a very full skirt - I had no idea so much material could go into one dress. Three of us had to help her gather it all up and then we were all making the "beep beep" sound like a truck backing up as we guided her back to the commode.

Anyway, take a deep breath and relax now. You deserve it!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...