Thursday, February 21, 2008

Earthquake in Wells

There was a 6.3 earhtquake this morning centered around Wells, Nevada. My friend Tina has parents who live and own businesses in the area (in fact, her Dad is the former mayor). I haven't heard if everything is okay yet but my thoughts and prayers are with them.

I love the stories that Tina tells about growing up in this tiny town pretty much in the middle of nowhere. But even I get confused sometimes and I remember her telling me about one time when they were in Chinatown. I thought it was strange that they had a Chinatown section of Wells, since not only is Wells small in population but the Yan family was the only asian family in the area. I just assumed that wherever there was a Yan in Wells, that was where Chinatown was at the moment. She looked at me quite strangely and said, "Shae, the name of my family's restaurant IS Chinatown." Duh!

I also like the story about her delivering food from the family restaurant to the local brothel to a large black prositute named Peaches. There is a sitcom there, I know it.

I hope the Yan's, Wells and Chinatown are all okay.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi, shae! found your blog. albeit, i was googling "yan earthquake wells nevada" hoping to find my mom quoted on some cbs affiliate out of la, but nonetheless...found it! it is so very lovely and so very inspiring. see you next week. t.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...