Friday, January 23, 2009

Being An Expert is Hard Work

I'm an expert. Really. Seriously. Go to AllExperts and go the the television trivia section and there I am. You can ask me questions about TV. My area of expertise is really 80's to present but people ask me questions about 1950's television. Hello, wasn't born yet. I try to answer the best I can and I research to find answers if i don't know if off the top of my head. (Jamie knows that I'm the queen of Internet research.) I figured all of the crap in my head might as well be used for the common good.

But being an expert is much harder work than I ever thought it would be. Because most of the questions I get are things like "Yeah, there was this show and it starred this girl, and she was blond or maybe brunette and there was this guy. Can you tell me the name of the show?" I might, if you could say give me a bit more information. I do the best I can and have found some answers for people but a lot of the time I ask them lots of questions back. It's not as rewarding as I'd like it to be because I feel like I'm letting people down. But I'm going to keep at it in the hopes that I can provide the answer to some question and the person who asked it can get on with their life.

So I may ask you, Loyal Readers, for some help. For example, does anyone remember a 1980's T.V. movie involving spies and the Dead Sea Scrolls? it's not ringing any bells for me but I'm researching away. If you think of anything, let me know!

3 comments:

Maura said...

Not ringing any bells for me either. And I used to watch TV movies a lot. Good luck being an expert!!!

dyann hunter said...

Hey, I know this has nothing to do with your current post, but I saw you have Silent Bob Speaks on your current reading list. How is that? I love Kevin Smith and all his movies. Should I read it?

Shae said...

Leslie-
It's a compilation of columns he wrote for Details and a few webzines. If you like Kevin Smith and 'insider' type stories about his movies, you'll like the book. I like it (but I get a bit tired of references to sex with his wife. Nobody needs that mental image.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...