Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things I Love About My Library


I love my local library. (In Las Vegas it's actually a series of libraries across the valley so I'm actually talking about 12 libraries because I use resources from all of them) If you haven't been to your local library, check it out. You pay for your libraries with your tax dollars so why not take advantage of all they have to offer.

1. Books
Okay, this was an easy one. But I love to read. And with paperback books running around eight bucks apiece and me being self-employed, my budget for books is zero. And that's exactly how much my library charges me, zero. I have saved tons of money this year by using my library. I almost bought the latest Dean Koontz paperback yesterday but figured I could spend that seven dollars on something like, I don't know, food? So I put it on my library queue and I'll pick it up today. Cha-ching! And that brings us to...

2. On-line services
I can do so much of my library related things without actually going to the library. If I see a book I want, I type it into the library search engine and see if they have it. Then I click a little button that says "Request It!" and then, as if by magic, some library fairy pulls it from one of the many libraries in my town, sends it to the branch nearest my house where they put my name on it and hold it for me until I can come pick it up. They even send me an email to let me know it's ready. Amazing. And if I can't finish it in the generous three weeks they give me to read it, I can hop on the Internet and renew said item 3 times. That's right, I can keep materials for up to three MONTHS. And I have. Not because I'm a slow reader but because my library lets me check out 50 items (yes, 5-0) at a time and I can't read 50 books in three weeks. (I can manage a book a day at times but that's about my limit.) Of course, if someone else has requested the book I have to take it back sooner than 3 months. (Which is why I had to read "The Reader" in one day yesterday because I hadn't gotten around to it yet and I have to take it back today.) And that online queue thingy? It works for CD's and DVD's too. Which brings us to...

3. Non-book stuff
My library has lots of things that aren't books. Like CD's. I rarely buy CD's (even less now that there is iTunes) but I like to check them out of the library because I can listen to all sorts of CD's for free. Like the "Wicked" soundtrack, or the latest Nickleback CD or Christmas music. And they have all kinds of DVD's, from the latest blockbuster to 'how to' videos. It's tough to get the latest releases right away, but if you are a fan of classic or independent films (and I am) you can get those almost all of the time. And again, there is that 'request it' queue if there is a title you just have to have. Like today I'm picking up the second season of Veronica Mars, saving me $49.95 if I bought it and freeing up my Netflix queue for those big blockbusters. Movies in every language imaginable too. Oh, and did you know that you can pick up audiobooks at the library, or better yet, download them to your iPod? Yup and they have e-books too (not yet for Kindle but for other eBook players and you can read them on your computer.) And magazines, oh what magazines. Again, as an self-employed person I hate to spend four dollars on a magazine, but I can check out Gourmet or Writer's Digest or a whole bunch of other magazines for free. I love free. Which brings us to...

4. Concerts, lectures and programs
My library sponsors all sorts of events, from movie series (February is Gene Wilder movies at the West Las Vegas Branch) to author lectures (Hey Leslie, wanna check out "The Paranormal Bender Tour: Five Urban Fantasy Authors and a Trunk Full of Undead Hookers" with me on March 11th?) to Pet Fairs (February 28th at the Rainbow Library) to Cooking shows ("Culinary Secrets from Professional Chefs and Recipe Exchange" at the Summerlin Library on February 19 and March 19). They also have tax preparation assistance for seniors, blood drives, plays, music, dance. Whew, that's a lot of stuff. And finally...

5. Other stuff
I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff, like the computers for public use and the art exhibits and the conference rooms for civic groups and the book clubs they sponsor and the children's programs. Just do yourself a favor and check out your local library and see what they have to offer you. You'll be amazed. And you'll save mucho dinero too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Maura said...

Your library sounds a lot like mine, except I don['t know if they have CDs. I'll have to check on that.

I have loved going to the library ever since I was a little kid. The Fordham branch of the New York library system will forever be my favorite.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...