Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I've Got an "In"

Okay, I've never done drugs so I've never had a 'dealer'. I don't know anyone who bootlegs DVD's so I don't know a 'guy'. I've lived in Las Vegas my whole life and I've only gotten 'comped' a couple of times. I don't know anyone who can put me 'on the list'. And while I don't really want to participate in any illegal activity, I have always felt kind of out of the loop. Like everyone else had some special connection and I was flying solo. But no more, 'cuz now I have a 'guy' who can totally hook me up with Ikea merchandise.

I know I blogged about ModernLV before and how it is such an amazing idea to bring Ikea to the Ikea-less Las Vegas. But last night I got my first delivery and I had to tell you all about it! I got an email from William Crozer, the "Director of Operations" (don't you love it when a two person company has employees with such lofty titles?) saying my merchandise was in. He sent me another email saying he was out making deliveries and if I was near a freeway he'd drop my stuff off too. I thought this was totally cool of him since I only bought seven dollars worth of stuff. My house is two minutes from a freeway exit and we made arrangements to meet in the parking lot of the shopping center that is right next to the freeway. (And, conveniently enough, right next to a Del Taco, and it was Tuesday, which means tacos were on sale 3 for $1.09, so guess what we had for dinner last night? Yup, taco salads. Add some beans and tomatoes and a bit of sour cream to some crushed up tacos and viola, yummy dinner on the cheap.)

William called me when he was fifteen minutes away from my area and I put my money in and envelope and headed off to the shopping center. I felt a little like I was going to make a drug deal, exchanging cash for the packets. I have been going to that shopping center my whole life (there is a great Chinese restaurant and my Grandma Wilhite did all her laundry at the laundromat and there used to be a terrific video store from the pre-Blockbuster and Netflix days.) But the shopping center has fallen on hard times when the freeway expansion forced the closing of the big grocery store and the McDonald's but I still go there frequently to the CVS or the Del Taco. But it's a little seedy after dark, I'll be honest. I don't usually care but I felt a little bad meeting my new BFF there. And again, I felt a little like some illicit exchange was going to be made. While I sat in my car, waiting for William, I witnessed not one, but two suspected drug deals. Now again, I've only seen drug deals in the movies but when people wait in their cars and a guy on a bike rides up to them, exchanges something through the window and then the car drives away, it doesn't take Sherlock Homes to figure out what's going on. I was afraid that while sitting in my car that the bicycle man would approach me and I would have no idea of the proper etiquette to turn him down. (Although it has been getting harder and harder to buy my nasal decongestant lately due to it's use in making crystal meth. I was wondering if meth helps you breathe better because it might be easier to buy it from a dealer than getting Sudafed at the pharmacy. Plus, meth helps you lose weight, right? But there is that whole 'losing all your teeth" and I hate dentists so maybe that's not the best way to go.)

William arrived and I got out of the car with my envelope and we exchanged the cash for the Graddsas sauce packets. My new 'dealer' also gave me the new Ikea catalog. (Just like a dealer, he hooks you with a little taste then turns you on the the harder stuff!) It wasn't exactly like a drug deal though, unless dealers are now giving receipts. We talked for a few minutes about the business and Ikea. He was totally cool, but I kind of had to laugh too. If I had to picture in my mind the type of person who would start an Ikea import business, it would be a yuppie white liberal in a hybrid car. (Have you ever seen "Best in Show' the brilliant dog show mockumentary from Christopher Guest and company? The couple with the weimeriner who met at Starbucks and likes to quiz each other on what's new in the J. Crew catalog? That's totally how I pictured William and his wife, the couple who own and run ModernLV) And who shows up? An upscale white guy with an Obama bumper sticker on his black Prius. I'm not making fun, just saying that he was EXACTLY like I pictured him and it made me smile. Did I mention before that the Crozer's even participate in a carbon offsetting program so I can even feel like an environmentalist while I buy my Ikea from them? Yes, they are that cool.

ModernLV is a business that if it succeeds is doomed to fail. By that I mean if there truly are enough people in Las Vegas that love Ikea, eventually Ikea will come here and ModernLV will have no reason to exist any more. And William is okay with that. He'd rather have an Ikea here. But until then he will spread the gospel of Ikea and occasionally mecca to one to worship at the temple of Swedish modern furnishings at reasonable prices. I agree with that philosophy, especially when it gets me the items I need without a four hour drive (unlike Dyann, I travel to Southern California very infrequently these days.) And the Crozer's are providing a really valuable service. We are in the midst of redecorating our living room and have been on quest to find a new couch. One that's comfortable. (Do you know how many couches are uncomfortable? It's amazing!) The room is small and we are looking for something modern but with a beach cottage feel. Our front runner is a love seat at Macy's that's nearly $1400.

This one at Ikea is $549. Granted, it's fabric instead of leather, but we can get a lot of slipcovers for the extra $850. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the one at Macy's but it's not my money.) But before the Crozer's our only option was to buy locally or rent a truck. But now we have the option of using ModernLV to fetch it for us. I don't know which we will eventually choose. But it's nice to have options. And that's the service that ModernLV is providing, the option to get Ikea merchandise without shipping charges that make the affordable into not affordable.

Tomorrow night is Swedish meatball night, thanks to ModernLV. I'm still going to work on a sauce equivalent to the packets but at least I have a supply now to tide us over until I do. And a way to get more. The Crozer's did me a huge favor and I wish them well. I've offered to write a couple of entries for their website. And I encourage you to become a friend of ModernLV on Facebook or follow them on Twitter. And, if you should happen to need some Ikea merchandise and decide to use ModernLV, mention my name and tell the Crozer's I sent you, and let them know I'm sharing the love. And the next time you have a brilliant idea, pursue it, you never know where it might lead!

3 comments:

dyann hunter said...

This couldn't come at a better time, Shae! I'm going to blog about it, but I've decided to hold off going back East. This economy is too iffy for me to quit a good job right now with no prospects, or money....so I'm going to hang around for one more year. That said, I'm going to be moving out of the bf's place and closer to work, meaning when I finally get a buck or two I'm gonna need nice and cheap furniture. ModernLV here I come! :-)

Shae said...

I'm selfishly glad you aren't moving yet. Once you are out of bf's place maybe we could hang out more? Or if you have time you can always come over here.
I love ModernLV and I think we decided to order some more stuff for the house from them. We can get a whole room full of furniture for the price of just a couch!

Maura said...

Man, I can totally see a 20/20 episode about people getting an their Ikea fix in a parking lot. Too funny. Maybe you should write something up about it for "Vegas Schmegas." It would make a great skit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...