Monday, February 02, 2009

My Latest Masterpiece



Cezanne worked with watercolors. Van Gogh worked with oils. Rodin worked with marble and clay. My preferred medium is... frosting.

These are the cupcakes for The Graminator's birthday (she had a lovely time and thanks to all who wished her well!) I wish I could take credit for the genesis of the idea but actually my brother suggested it. He said, "Wouldn't a 'Take 5' cupcake be good?" And I thought, "Yes, yes it would."

For those who don't know (and how could you not?) a "Take 5" is a candy bar with a pretzel topped with caramel, peanut butter, peanuts and covered with chocolate. So here is my first attempt at the deconstructed "Take 5". It's a chocolate cupcake filled with caramel ganache, topped with peanut butter frosting, chocolate ganache and a pretzel. There is also pretzel in the cupcake and I tried this several ways but no matter how I put it in the cupcake, it got soggy. Also, the caramel ganache (which took me 5 batches of caramel to get right) got lost in flavor to the delicious (but very peanut buttery) peanut butter frosting. So while these rated a 4 out of 5 on the nummy scale, they still could be better. For the next attempt, the chocolate cupcake will contain little caramel bits and be filled with a peanut butter filling, topped with chocolate frosting and crushed pretzels. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is the perfect cupcake. But no one seems to mind my experimentation.

The final flavors for the wedding cupcakes has been decided. They are: chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, tiramisu cupcakes (coffee cupcakes with tiramisu filling and cocoa frosting), cherry cheesecake cupcakes (tart cherry cupcakes with a cinnamon graham bottom with cheesecake frosting), and coconut. All four will get one last test run to make sure they are perfect for the wedding. I will be making two dozen of each flavor so that each wedding guest can have two cupcakes of their choice. Each cupcake will be topped with a cherry blossom of sugar paste. They still haven't chosen the flavor for their wedding cake which will just be a small cake on the top of the display.

And speaking of masterpieces, I'm almost done with the 2 projects I'm working on. I don't want to jinx it but I should be done with them by the end of the month. And tonight is the first read through of the major motion picture I'm starring in. (I just love saying that even though it's probably not as lofty as it sounds.) And of course, for the read through I'm bringing....cupcakes! (See, I could tie this all together.) Have a great day Loyal Readers!

4 comments:

Maura said...

Man, those look soooooo good! I may have to try a batch myself some time. Without the peanut butter, though. I just can't eat that stuff. But yet I love the smell of peanut butter, go figure. But chocolate, caramel and pretzels all mixed up together sounds like heaven to me!!

A belated happy birthday to the Graminator. I hope she had a wonderful day and enjoyed her Take 5 cupcakes. They looked so yummy, how could she not?

I've never heard of T5, by the way, maybe it's a regional candy bar? Anyway, I applaud your ability to make up your own recipes based on other items. I don't know that I will ever get that creative in the kitchen.

Hope the read through goes well. And I have faith in you and Kelly....you're big film debut is going to make a big splash at Sundance!! :)

Shae said...

Thanks Maura!
Take 5 is a Hershey candy bar so I thought it was everywhere. They are so good, all the sweet and salty and creamy and crunchy together!
I used to hate peanut butter but now it's growing on me. I know how you feel though, I love the smell of coffee but I can't drink it, it's vile.

dyann hunter said...

Shae, you're making my teeth hurt just thinking about all that sugary goodness. I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter either, but paired with chocolate I'm up for it. One of these damn days we will get together and I will eat something of yours! Ok, that sounds bad.

You need no luck or faith or anything when it comes to your projects. You're a superstar already! Congrats!

Maura said...

Hmmm. Maybe I have heard of Take 5. It's starting to sound familiar. There were probably commercials for it but when I heard the phrase "peanut butter" I dismissed it from memory.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...