Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Six Degrees of (Insert Celebrity Name Here)

Okay, so you all know I'm working on a new feature film, which is set to begin filming sometime after my feature film debut finishes filming. (In exciting update news, that film will begin shooting on May 8th, YAY!)

For my film, which is set in Vegas - because a) write what you know and b) Vegas is, well, still cool - I need to find a celebrity. Or possibly celebrities. I'm making this film on no budget and not paying anyone, except that craft services will be good (for those that don't know what craft services is, it's the food on set, and believe me, always trust the fat girl with food). I think this film is going to get some buzz on the festival circuit. I don't want to give too much away but the concept for the film is totally unique and something that is a bit risky but truly interesting. But because the cast will be free and therefore relatively unknown, I need a celebrity cameo appearance or two to help boost the films 'street cred'.

I was at a film festival with "Supermodels" where my little 'film that could' showed with another film that looked fantastic. Now I love my film but it cost $1800 and was made with completely unknown actors (and I use that term loosely because most of them, okay all of them, had never acted in a film before). This film had Robert Wagner and Lori Singer in it. (It's called "Little Victim" and it's a really cute movie, you can see it here.) Made by the Ronalds Brothers, I asked them how much their movie cost them to make. They said $100,000. After I finished choking, I asked how they got actors like Robert Wagner. That's when I was told that if you can afford to meet an actor's 'day rate' (that is, the amount an actor gets paid for one days work) then you can hire any actor you want. While I'm sure they couldn't get ANY actor, I wondered about directors like me, working with no budget. Could I get an actor? A real one? One who was sort of 'known'? (By the way, you can buy the Ronalds Brothers feature film, "Netherbeast Incorporated" online or rent it on Netflix. It has Darrell Hammond, Judd Nelson, Dave Foley and yes, Robert Wagner in it.)

So here is what I need from you, Loyal Readers. We are going to play "Six Degrees of Separation". Do you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody? I'd love to find some celebrities for this film. Here is my dream list: Wayne Newton, Penn & Teller, Siegfried and/or Roy, George Wallace, Donny and/or Marie. Yes, it's a list of celebrities who already are in Las Vegas. That's because I can't provide airfare or accommodations. But if you know a celebrity who's willing to come to Vegas on their own dime for a cameo role to help a struggling filmmaker, by all means invite them.

Here is what I can provide for any celebrity who decides to help us out with a credited or uncredited cameo: Transportation to and from the set in a 2002 Toyota Corolla, an assigned lackey to fetch water, juice, etc while keeping paparazzi at bay, excellent craft services and the director will personally make you two dozen cupcakes in any flavor(s) you choose. Plus all the undying gratitude you can stand. And for the six degree people who are able to get me in contact with said celebrities, the cupcake offer stands for you too as well as thank you credit in the film.

Okay, Loyal Readers, you have your assignment. Filming will begin in September. So think about who you know who might know someone who might know someone. This is a social experiment to test the six degrees of separation. I know we can do it! My film depends on YOU!

4 comments:

TheHomeBody said...

Hmmm...I think my mom used to date Wayne. And I think David Naughton lives next door to a guy I used to work with.

Shae said...

David Naughton "I'm a Pepper, Makin' It" David Naughton? That would be so cool. He was the American Werewolf in London and this is a horror film, it would be perfect!
Does your mom still have the Wayner's number?
You are the second degree,move forth to the third degree !(which sounds like the interrogation step)

Maura said...

I'm afraid I don't know any celebrities. But I did sort of have dinner with Denis Leary not too long ago. He lives here in CT and we wound up sitting at the same hibachi table at a local Japanese restaurant. We did chat briefly and he was very polite - quite different from his onstage persona. But, alas, did not get to know him well enough to seek this kind of favor. :(

Oh well. Good luck with your celebrity hunt. David Naughton would be cool. American Werewolf in London was a great movie. Lots of fun.

dyann hunter said...

You're the biggest celebrity I know, Shae!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...