Thursday, April 10, 2008

Where Do I Live?

Recently someone asked me where in Las Vegas I lived and I realized it's a question I don't have a good answer for.

When I was growing up, it was easy to answer. I lived in the far Northwest. Jones was the farthest major street in the western part of the Valley and it ended four blocks from my house. Yes, there were some people who lived farther West or farther North but they probably owned horses. In any case, if I said Northwest when I was a kid, people knew exactly where I was talking about. (The area I live in actually does have a name, it's called Charleston Heights but no one calls it that, not that they ever did.)

As I got older and the town started growing it became more complicated. When I would say Northwest, they would ask if I lived in Summerlin. Nope, not that far West. Desert Shores was too far North. But I just said Jones and the Expressway and that was clear enough.

Well, now very few people call it the expressway any more. (Believe me, when it was built it as way more 'express' than it is now.) Now people tell me they live off of Jones and the 215 and I get confused. (I'm a dang native for cryin' out loud and I don't know where people mean half the time!) The town has grown so fast and so furiously that old landmarks are gone and descriptions change daily. My house that used to be on the edge of nowhere is now towards the middle of town.

So I have decided to rename the area in which I live "North Central Las Vegas". Because now that the town stretches far in every direction around me, it is pretty central. And we are still North of the dividing line, even if it isn't as far North as it used to be. It'll also give our neighborhood some street 'cred' to be called North Central LV. So l hereby re-christen where I live and I ask you all to start calling it by it's new name. Hopefully we won't have to change it's name again anytime soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...