Thursday, October 02, 2008

Trying Out Wedding Cakes



No, not for me (don't I wish) but for Will and Val.

They finally set a date. May 2, 2009. They really wanted to get married at the Clark County Heritage Museum, which is this cool place where they took old homes and things to this one site and restored them with period furniture, etc. Yes, most of the things are from the 1940's and 1950's, but in Las Vegas, that's historic. At the end of this street of houses and things is a gazebo and that's where they want to get married. They are restoring an old wedding chapel too but won't be done in time for the wedding. The museum doesn't usually host weddings but Val called and talked to a very nice woman who went to the Board and got them to approve it. The site will only cost them a $200 donation and they have benches for guests to sit on and everything. They are still looking for a reception location but they think they know where they want that too.

So I volunteered a long time ago to make their wedding cakes. I say cakes because instead of one tiered cake they wanted several individual cakes that we would put on a multi-level stand. But now with all the cupcake baking I've been doing lately, Val thinks she might want cupcakes instead. I told them I had even see a cupcake stand that you could put an eight inch round cake on top so they could still have a cake to cut with a topper and then individual cupcakes on the other tiers. So now we need to decide on flavors so that I can perfect them over the next few months so that I can do them in my sleep by wedding time.



The 'theme' of the wedding is cherry blossoms and I am working on making a gazillion cherry blossoms out of gum paste to decorate the cake and cupcakes with. I could buy the flowers but since I have some 'free time" I thought I would try making them. They don't look too hard once you get the knack. I also need to work on a cherry cupcake. My brother suggested a cherry cheesecake cupcake and I want to make them happy but also remain true to myself as a baker. So I'm going to try this weekend and make a cupcake with chopped cherries (real ones, not marachino) in it with a graham cracker bottom and frosted with a marscapone cheesecake frosting. I'll see how it works and how they like it. The main cake for them to cut would (hopefully) look like the top picture.



While surfing the Web for ideas, I came across these cupcake wrappers. Aren't they adorable? I'm thinking if we put the cakes in a pink liner then into these they would look amazing. We will decorate the cupcake stand with ribbons, flowers, etc. What do you think? I want everything to be perfect for them so I've got to get to work!

4 comments:

Maura said...

Man...I want to go to the wedding just to try out the cakes!!! They look so good. And cherry is one of my favorite flavors. The picture at the top looks gorgeous...almost too good to eat (notice I said almost...I'd cut into that sucker eventually!).

Good luck with your baking experiments. I'm sure you will come up with a winning recipe and presentation design. You're such a good sister!!

Oh, and I finally got around to visiting Gourmand Girl yesterday. That cheeseball recipe looks good And it also looks simple enough that I might actually manage it! I'll be stopping by GG more often.

Shae said...

I have so been neglecting GG. Maybe now that I know someone is looking I'll give it more attention!

When your book is published (or accepted by an agent or whatever) I'l make you a cake to die for even if I have to UPS it to you!

dyann hunter said...

YUM! You are soooo cool! I love those cupcake wrappers and the idea about the cakes/cupcakes and cherry blossoms, sounds adorable.

Heh heh, I had to laugh because Maura said "cheeseball"....

:-)

Maura said...

LOL...I had to laugh because you laughed at 'cheeseball', Dyann. You are a nut job!!! (But a way cool one who has finished her novel!!!! Woo hoo!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...