Monday, October 27, 2008

What Would I Tell Myself?

I saw a movie yesterday morning, okay, it was a cartoon, called "Meet the Robinson's". (I was making cupcakes and it was on after the other movie I had been watching so I really heard it more than I watched it. I don't usually watch cartoons.) In the movie, the little boy gets to meet his future self and tries to learn a few things. It made me wonder what I would have done if I knew what my future really held, and what I would ask or tell myself.

Let's say I could talk to the thirteen year old me. First off, I'm not sure I would have listened to myself (as at thirteen you think you know everything already anyway). And I firmly believe that it's my life experiences that have brought me to where I am in my life so I wouldn't want to change anything major because I like myself and while I'm not in the perfect place right now it's leading me to where I need to go. So what advice would I give? Here is what I would say to me.

"Don't be so afraid. 99% of the things you worry about will never even come close to happening. Your fear will keep you from experiencing some of the joy in life. The greatest experiences you will ever have will come when you do the scariest things. Just close your eyes, take a deep breath and jump. Yes, there will sometimes be pain, I can't promise you that you'll never get hurt, but I can promise that even in the very darkest moments of your life, everything will work out. Hold on to hope.

Know that your family is the greatest asset in your life, even if you can't appreciate that for a long time. Even when it seems like you'd be better off without them, know that they will always be there for you. They love you, even if they can't show it the way you want them too. They are doing the best they can, just like you are doing the best you can. Have patience, love and forgiveness and you'll save a lot of time later on. Don't waste a minute with them because they can't stay with you always and you will miss them more than you can imagine when they are gone. And your pesky, smelly little brother is going to be one of your best friends one day so be nice.

Really live your life. Don't worry about what you 'should' do and do what you love. It will lead you to the most interesting places and let you meet the most interesting people.

Be grateful for what you have because you really do have more than you need and life isn't about money. Your first car will NOT be a tan Mercedes convertible with brown leather interior, nor will your second or third and probably never, but you won't have to ride the bus either.

Open your heart to all of the possibilities. You will have your heart bruised, many times, usually by people you thought really cared about you, but your heart is strong and it will never really break and love is a journey. Realize that others are fallible too. Forgive but don't forget. People willing to hurt you once will do it again and it's better to be alone than with someone who doesn't care about your well being.

Laugh, every day. Laughter is your gift and your salvation and you will need a sense of humor to get through life.

Finally, believe in yourself. Your fifth grade teacher was right, there is nothing you can't do. You just have to do it, not wish it or dream it, but work at it and make it happen. Don't be afraid, it's going to be a roller coaster ride for sure but oh, what a a ride it will be."

1 comment:

Maura said...

How true this all is! And how I wish I had gotten this advice when I was thirteen! Especially the part about doing what you love and not worrying about the money so much. That is the one thing that weighs on my mind all the time. I can never fully relax because I am always afraid I won't have enough money to live on. And it is so odd because I have never been in financial dire straits. I have always found a way to take care of myself. Yet I still worry about it. The current financial crisis does not help me with this, either.

Anyway, this was a great post, Shae. It has definitely given me some food for thought. I am definitely going to try and take some of this advice to heart. I'll start by trying to think of something really funny to say to Larry tonight so we can both have a good laugh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...