Monday, April 20, 2009

How I Stay Sane

Or not. With less than two weeks until the wedding, three weeks until the start of filming, trying to start a cookie business and, oh yeah, writing, all while taking care of an 88-year-old Alzheimer's patient and my mother and redecorating a house, my sanity is on a mighty thin thread, my friends.

Weddings are stressful, I get that. But when my SIL-to-be told me yesterday that if I ever had 'paying' clients as a wedding coordinator, I shouldn't nag them so much to get things done, I just about lost it. Really? Because I'm not getting paid and things that I have done all the legwork on and then passed to the bride to complete haven't been completed. And all the info I gave her was 'lost'. Which means that with 13 days to go, the promised transportation shuttle hasn't been booked, they still haven't made their song playlist for the wedding reception and about a zillion other 'minor' details (like music for the ceremony, bride's flowers, decoration of the ceremony area, their wedding car, processional, recessional, etc.) still haven't been finalized. Sorry if that makes me a little nervous. And angry that I'm made to feel like the bad guy for bringing it up. I haven't minded helping, truly, but with Val's family coming in next week I know that she won't be able to get much done so it's got to get done this week.

I can't eat to relieve the stress (or I won't fit into my dress) and I can't afford to drink since I'm unemployed (plus that has calories too.) I could exercise but yuck. I don't have sitter so I can't got to the movies (my usual stress buster) and I haven't had time to read because I've been working on cookies. I don't have time to sleep, mostly because my brain won't shut off. And I have no access to therapeutic drugs. Calgon, take me away!

On the plus side, I've dropped 5 pounds this week, I completed another batch of cookies that look fabulous, I have a friend who is coming to help me photograph them and if I can ever get a hold of my cousin I'm almost ready for the website. (He seems to be part vampire plus there is a three hour time difference between us.) But I have a backup plan if he doesn't work out. (That plan involves me doing it, alone.)

I still have to make 80 cupcake wrappers, 4 corsages, a flower girl basket, 7 dozen cupcakes in four flavors, and a wedding cake. But I'm not stressed. Nope, not me. I'm cool as a cucumber. And if you believe that, I've got a lovely bridge in Brooklyn for you. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to take The Graminator to the doctor. (See, I don't even have tome to stress!)

4 comments:

Maura said...

OK, I don't know your SIL to be, and I don't know what kind of life she leads, but unless it involves some sort of 24 hour a day providing care to someone else who is completely helpless, and in her few minutes of free time she is working hard to stop hunger and bring about world peace, she owes you a BIG apology.

If she were paying a wedding coordinator (and caterer, and shoes/jewelry designer, and floral arranger) she would be paying THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS for all that you are doing for her and your brother. I know weddings get stressful for the participants, but as a faithful reader of your blog, I have to say that I was kind of wondering all along if she or your brother were doing anything at all to help you with THEIR OWN WEDDING. From where I sit, it doesn't look like they have had too much to do and if they are slacking off, she has a lot of nerve telling you not to nag.

If I were you, I wouldn't say anymore and if the stuff doesn't get done, they have no one to blame but themselves. I know as I write this that you won't do that because I know want them to have a nice day (and because you are a nicer person than I am - I'd wash my hands of it), but I would definitely make it clear that they need to get off their butts and get it done and the sooner they get it done, the sooner the nagging will stop.

And once the wedding is over, they definitely owe you some time off from sitting with the Graminator. I don't understand why they can't give you a day off from that every once in a while.

OK, I'll shut up now since I really shouldn't be sticking my nose into family business. I apologize to you, Shae, if I have overstepped my bounds. And good for you on staying strong and not resorting to negative behavior to compensate (eating, drinking, etc.). You are a great person and don't need those crutches!!

Maura said...

I almost forgot...CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss. Way to go, girl!! Keep it up!

The Chan Man said...

Shae,
You are doing a thankless job.
I appreciate what a wonderful job you are doing. But that's you, sweetie.
And remember, no good turn goes unpunished.
Be prepared to take the higher, kinder road.
Remember, she will be squeezing out children you can spoil beyond measure.
Peace.

dyann hunter said...

Shae, Val probably felt guilty when you mentioned getting things done and so she went on the defensive and said that to you. I think you are doing a bang up job and exactly what a wedding coordinator SHOULD be doing. Keeping things coordinated. If Val can't see that then she's probably blinded right now by wedding jitters.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...