Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Farmer Girl


Here is a picture of my new "garden". Okay, it's just a plot at this point but I spent yesterday clearing away the leaves, cleaning the debris, digging out the weeds, etc. I am going to plant an herb garden so I don't have to spend several dollars every time I want some fresh basil. This spot should be pretty good (according to my mum, the master gardener) because it gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Today I'm going to turn the soil and then tomorrow go and buy the plants. I'd like to put in basil, mint, chives, thyme, sage, cilantro, tomatoes and maybe some jalapenos. Yes, I know, tomatoes and jalapenos aren't herbs but I love home grown tomatoes and with some jalapenos and cilantro I can make my own salsa. Of course, all of this depends on what I can find at the plant store.

Boy, gardening is a lot of work. My muscles are screaming today. I got a heck of a workout. You might be wondering what having an herb garden has to do with the 'year of writing dangerously'. Well, this year is about exploring things I want to do but haven't had time for, and a little garden is something I could never have in my old apartment. Plus the time in my garden is going to be kind of a 'zen' thinking time, which can only help my writing. (Maybe I should but in some lavender, heroines in historical romances always have fresh lavender.)

My time off is kind of like when you graduate from college and take a year of to see the world, decide what you want to do with your life, etc. I know I want to be a writer but I have a zillion other things I'd like to explore. I'm going to shoot a short documentary. (I've been playing with my video camera, it actually shoots pretty well for a consumer camera). I shot some footage at the Las Vegas Zoo and now I'm playing with the editing software to learn how it works. I'm going to bottle my own soda (I've invented a new flavor, as soon as I start bottling I'll be looking for a tasting panel.) I have an idea for a Las Vegas themed novelty I'm going to produce (I already have had success with the prototype.) So I want this to be a time of exploration and learning and creativity. Or perhaps I'm just indulging my schizophrenia.

Back to the garden. I'll post pictures of it's progress. And hopefully, in a few months, I'll be sharing it's bounty!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...