Thursday, June 05, 2008

News: The Sad, the Strange and the Rest

Okay, I had no idea what to write about today - then, when I logged onto the Internet, a strange news story caught my eye.

"Missing Lighthouse Found" - Apparently an iron lighthouse from Massachusetts thought to have been dismantled and destroyed in 1925 was actually found to have been moved to California. An iron lighthouse. Seriously? Nobody thought to say, "hey guys, I'm not gonna throw away this lighthouse, I think I'll move it instead." Some surmise that the lighthouse was disassembled bolt by bolt then reassembled at it's new location. Don't you think that's a lot of work for people to not know what happened to it? I know that communication in 1925 wasn't exactly what it is now but still, it hardly seems like something you'd keep secret. I guess what bothers me the most is that it took over eighty years for researchers to discover it. There are only 700 lighthouses in the U.S. Lighthouse lovers are fanatics about lighthouses. They publish magazines with articles, calendars with pictures, make pilgrimages to them, etc. And nobody went, "hmmm, this lighthouse looks a lot like the one we lost". It took these Sherlock Homes wanna-bees almost a century to figure it out. Do not hire these people to find your missing kid.


The sad news is late, I will admit. I meant to blog it when it happened last week but just forgot. (Let's blame my illness, okay?). Sidney Pollack died on May 26th at the age of 73. He got started in acting but quickly found his niche as a director, first in television then in film. He directed some absolutely outstanding films, like The Way We Were, Three Days of the Condor, The Electric Horseman, Out of Africa (okay, he obviously had a special relationship with Robert Redford since they did some amazing work together), The Firm and my personal favorite, Tootsie. He also produced an impressive list of great films, so many accomplishments that I can't list them all here. (But check out his IMDB listing if you want more info.) He also acted in many films and even played the recurring role of Will's dad on "Will and Grace". I have a list of people I would like to work with and Sidney was at the top of my list. He now moves to the list of people I sincerely regret never haven gotten the chance to work with (in case you are wondering, others on that list include Colleen Dewhurst, John Houston, Robert Altman, Sidney Sheldon and John Ritter)
Thank god for the movies, because great talents like Sidney Pollack's will never really die.


In the rest of the news, Hilary Clinton will concede the nomination for President to Barack Obama, probably tomorrow. If he is smart and in tune with what will win him the election, Obama will then choose Clinton as his running mate. To not do so may fracture the Democratic party and allow McCain to win. These are only predictions folks, I'm not endorsing any particular candidate. However, should my predictions come true, we would have a truly historic ticket. And I am right once again. I always said that this country would have a black male president before any woman. I'm not being biased, it's just based on the fact that black men had the right to vote (let's leave Jim Crow debates aside please) before women did and on Star Trek there was a black male captain (Deep Space Nine) before a female (Voyager). Again, I'm not being racist here, merely pointing out the facts as I see them.

Okay, gotta go work on some recipes. The current ingredient I'm working with is Harissa, a red chili paste that originated in Tunisia. It is the North African version of sambal. It's hot but has a really great flavor due to the addition of garlic and spices. Off to the kitchen to be a mad scientist!

1 comment:

Maura said...

Hi. Glad your skin is hanging on. And thanks so much for offering to hold my hair! :)

Not sure how I feel about the Obama nomination. I think I would have preferred it the other way around but in all honesty I wasn't thrilled with either of them. But I pretty much feel that way every election. All of these people are so flawed. And what makes it worse is that that is all you hear about. Any good they have done barely gets mentioned.

I wondered what tipped those people off to the fact that the lighthouse was "missing?" And what about the folks in CA? Did no one notice when a lighthouse just "appeared?" I love stories like that. They are always good for a chuckle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...