Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Updates and Choices

Okay, I had to go to the doctor again this week. For those of you who know my aversion to doctors this is a HUGE thing. But after the first round of antibiotics, I wasn't all better. My pink eye is gone, thank heavens, but I was still hacking and stuff. I felt better but not well. Then yesterday I had an even worse sore throat and my ear was hurting too and I just couldn't take it so I went back to the doc. She said my sinus infection hadn't cleared and so I'm on a new round of antibiotics. This one has a lovely possible side effect of my flesh falling off. I'm not kidding. It's rare but not so rare that both the doctor and the pharmacist emphasised to me the need to watch for any skin conditions. Ick. But I supposed any antibiotic that can strip your skin from your bones should kill my sinus infection, right? And isn't it great that now that I'm poor and unemployed I get sick and have to go to the doctor a bunch? Yay for me.

So my head still isn't in the game, writing wise. It's tough because I've fallen behind my self imposed goals. But I'm not doing my novel justice. So this week I have set my novel aside and I am working on my cookbook. I have a lot of dreams to accomplish in my 'year of writing dangerously' so I can't waste time. So I'll work on the cookbook. It's tentatively titled "Cooking Outside Your Comfort Zone" and it's for home cooks who want to branch out and learn about different ingredients and techniques to make themselves more adventurous cooks. It's been cool because my family is willing to eat all of the things I'm inventing for the book and now my brother and his fiancee are trying some of my recipes and techniques themselves (which is the whole point of the cookbook, so it's already working, sort of). So I don't look it as a step back to work on the cookbook, just a choice to not waste any of the precious time I have.

Gotta go back to work. Wish me luck that this antibiotic works (and doesn't give me flesh eating disease!)

3 comments:

Maura said...

Oh, Shae, I know it's wrong but you just made me laugh so hard! I really don't want your skin to fall off but you definitely have a witty writing style. I'm still chuckling as I write this and that is so un-PC. Please take it easy and get well soon.

Your cookbook sounds terrific and would probably be right up my alley. I am not much of a cook but every now and then I want to try something adventurous.

So feel better and watch out for falling flesh, especially if you are near the food.

Maura

Shae said...

Hmm, flesh falling into the food...now that would be an adventurous cooking experience! (Too bad there aren't a lot of Zombies or Cannibals who read cookbooks)

dyann hunter said...

Ok, you guys are gross. Human flesh, disease, and food should never be in the same sentence...

I think it's a good idea to jump around with projects anyway. It prevents that stale, bored feeling that as you mentioned, Shae, you don't want to seep into your writing. Then it'll be a game to see which one gets completed first! Yay!

Get better soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...