Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Underrated Movies

I read another blog where a woman wrote about movies. Most of the movies she reviewed were not popular films, her choices were more like older and foreign films. Now I love older films (love, love, LOVE classic Bette Davis films like Jezebel, Now, Voyager and All This and Heaven Too) and I adore foreign films - please see Adam's Apples (available on Netflix and playing on the Sundance channel) and Reprise (in limited release but sure to be on DVD at some point). But I also love films that are, perhaps, a little less lofty in their aspirations. I love films that entertain, with no higher purpose than that.

On this particular blog, the author had a list of her most underrated movies. One of these movies was The Rapture, starring Mimi Rogers. Now I will never criticize another person's choices because movies speak to each viewer differently. But I hated The Rapture. I have seen it twice because I thought I'd give it a second chance. But I still hated it. It didn't speak to me. And that's okay. There have been lots of films that millions of people have loved that I didn't (The English Patient? Ugh. Knocked Up? So completely unbelievable to me and I so don't relate) But it got me thinking about films I liked that I don't think got any attention. So I am paying homage to those films by spreading the word. These are films I enjoy. I'd love for others to enjoy them too. But if you don't like them, that's cool by me. I'd love to hear your choices too!


The film I'm recommending today is Bride and Prejudice. I love it because it combines two of my favorite things, Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and Bollywood. For those who are unfamiliar with Bollywood, it's a style of film making from India (which makes way more films each year than Hollywood does). Some of the key components in Bollywood films are bright costumes, large musical numbers, guest musical performances and the heroine never kisses the hero. I love these films because they are a lot like my beloved Elvis musicals of the early sixties, and I love the sweet, simple stories like Elvis in Clambake, Spinout and Viva Las Vegas.

Bride and Prejudice follows these Bollywood traditions with an added Western flair. Directed by Gurwinder Chada of Bend It Like Beckham fame (another great film, and starring the ever so handsome Irishman Jonathan Rhys-Myers) and written by her husband Paul Mayeda Berges, B&P is a comedic retelling of the Austen classic.

Acclaimed Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai (once named the most beautiful woman in the world) stars as Lalita (the Lizzie Bennett character) and Martin Henderson plays Mr. Darcy. It's a charming adaptation which spans the globe from India to London to California. The India locals are beautiful and I'd love to go visit some day. The costumes are wonderful and the musical numbers are well incorporated. If you are a fan of either Jane Austen or the Bollywood style, you'll love the films. If you just love romantic comedies and/or musicals then you should check it out as well. Available on DVD and running occasionally on cable on the Starz network.



Got a favorite film that you think is underrated dear readers? Let me know. I'll accept guest columns for this ongoing series. Next time I'll review my favorite Melanie Griffith film (who knew that was even possible!)

6 comments:

Maura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maura said...

I will have to add Bride and Prejudice to my Netflix list. I love Jane Austen and I have yet to see a Bollywood film. Unless Bend it Like Beckham counts?

I've never even heard of The Rapture. I liked Mimi Rogers in Austen Powers but I don't know if I've seen her in anything else.

How's your skin doing? Still all there? :)

Maura said...

By the way, I removed my first comment because it was full of typos (It's late and I'm tired).

Shae said...

Skin still attached to bones, thanks!

Bend it Like Beckham isn't really a good intro to Bollywood, it didn't have the right elements. Check out Bride and Prejudice, I think you'll like it.

The Rapture is a very strange religious themed movie. to me, it's hard to follow in the beginning then overly preachy then down right weird and creepy at the end. So not my cup of tea.

I forgot she was in Austin Powers. I always think of her as Tom Cruise's first wife.

dyann hunter said...

I'm going to have to check out Bride and Prejudice, too. I love that stuff.

Oh and I hate Mimi Rogers. I can't put my finger on what is about her that makes me want to scream, but she drives me bonkers. Maybe it's the crooked mouth. Yuck!

Oh and you're going to disown me for sure, but I really liked Knocked Up..but not for the typical reasons.

Paul Rudd is one of my favorite actors and he is hilarious in this movie and everything he has ever done! He's my underrated actor nominee :-)

Shae said...

I completely exempt Paul Rudd from comments about Knocked Up. Although he was funnier in 40 Year Old Virgin. I have loved him since Clueless.

I hated Knocked Up because there was no way a woman who just got an on camera job on E would get pregnant and certainly not with Seth Rogan's character and certainly never see him as father material (a stoner with no job and no prospects for a job isn't going to be the most responsible parent)

I'm not saying the movie didn't have it's funny parts, I just reject it's main premise.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...