Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Mom and the Wii



My mom is so funny when it comes to the Wii. She's going to be an age that she'll kill me if I mention but her kids are in their mid-thirties so you can guess. I got our family a Wii for Christmas (stood in line, in the cold, etc.) We play it every Sunday when my brother and his fiancee come over. We usually go to lunch and then come home and play Wii and have whatever evil dessert I have invented that week. This week we went to breakfast and so we played on the Internet and talked and then played Wii. My brother wanted to play tennis so I played him and he kicked my butt (and I used to be able to beat him in straight sets so I guess I need to start practicing again). Then he played my mom.

Now every time my mom plays a new Wii game, she picks it up really fast. Like she usually beats ALL of us, swiftly and soundly. So fast in fact that she must be some kind of video game genius. So the same thing happened this week with tennis. Within seconds she and my brother were volleying for a long, long time. Finally my brother beat her but only because she hasn't yet figured out how to play both the front and back of the court characters yet. Once she does, look out. (The only thing she hasn't kicked butt in is Mario Cart. She can't keep her car on the track. So far, we can beat her in that one.)

I posted pictures of my mom and brother playing (shh, don't tell, they would both probably kill me), and that's Val (my future sister-in-law) on the chair watching them. My mom turns into Venus and Serena while she's playing, she gets into a stance and runs around like she's on an actual court. It's very entertaining.

This week my mom wondered aloud if anyplace rented Wii games so we could try some more out. I told her that they did, especially up at Hollywood Video and she wanted to go rent some. RIGHT NOW. Like she's 12 and couldn't wait. Her earnestness made Val and I crack up. She then volunteered her accumulated gift certificates from Best Buy so we could go buy some games. I'm telling you, she was like a little kid, who couldn't wait to get more, More, MORE.

Next we want the Wii Fit, which I would have already gotten but they are sold out everywhere. Can't Nintendo just put enough out so everybody can get one? XBox and Playstation seem to be able to do that. It's really annoying.

Will and Val are going on vacation this week but I promise, when they get home, I'll take my mom to the video store and get her some games.

1 comment:

Maura said...

Well it looks like you are all having a grand old time. Good for you! And three cheers for your Mom for getting down and dirty with her kids. I could never get my mother to try stuff like that. She was born and raised on a farm in Ireland in the 1920s and 30s so she always gets intimidated by computer stuff (she still thinks they are a bad idea....sometimes I have to agree with her). I've never even see wii up close and personal. I wonder if my brother has it. He has two girls, 7 and 11, so they might be into it. I'll have to check it out next time I am at their house. And don't feel bad about standing in line in the cold for it. I actually went out at midnight to get the last Harry Potter book the second it went on sale. We'll all stand on line for something!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...