Friday, August 29, 2008

He May Be An Old Guy, But He's a Smart Old Guy

Okay, the suspense is over and John McCain is going to pick Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. Brilliant I say, just brilliant.

I'll say it now, as I've said before, if Barack Obama had chosen Hillary Clinton as his running mate, I think he would have won the election, no contest. Their competition for the Democratic nomination really split the part into two factions. By uniting those factions I think they would have had an unstoppable force. But he picked a really boring white guy who has run unsuccessfully for president himself, twice. I think it was a poor choice. I know, I know, balance the ticket, shore up Barack's weaknesses, blah blah. Poor choice, that's all I'm saying.

On the other hand, McCain picking a woman, is really smart. Not just because the Republicans are so behind the times (which they are, sorry) but because all of those disenfranchised Democrats can now justify voting for McCain. Many Hillary supporters can feel better voting for McCain and I think they will jump ship.


Sarah Palin is an interesting choice. Mother of five, including one baby with special needs, reformer and renegade to her own party, former Mayor in and now Governor of Alaska, a state that most of us don't even think of as a real state. I know, beautiful, full of wonderful natural resources and most importantly, in my opinion, way more guys than girls (hmm, maybe I should move to Alaska...nope, too cold.) But it's really more like Canada than the rest of the U.S. Still, I think Sarah is a good choice since she has experience actually running a government (granted again, it's Alaska). Plus she has that 'hot librarian' thing going for her. You know what I mean. She has the bun and glasses but looks like she could whip them off at any moment and start dancing to Van Halen's "I'm Hot For Teacher".

I honestly don't know who I'm voting for this election. As most of you know, I was a John Edwards supporter and still would be if he wasn't an ass@%# who slept around on his cancer stricken wife. Ugh. Sometimes men disgust me. Seriously, gentlemen, why would you risk your career, your family, your reputation and possibly the presidency of the United States just on getting some? I mean it, explain it to me, because I just don't get it.

Anyway, I have a lot of thinking to do because I can see great strengths and major weaknesses in both candidates. I want this country to be better off in four years than it is now. It's up to me (and you) to help that happen. Let's have a clean fight, no hitting below the belt and how about some real answers to some serious problems.

1 comment:

Maura said...

You are far more politically informed than I am! Way to go, Shae! I'm not sure who I am going to vote for, either. I generally vote democrat, but I just don't know this time around.

It would help if, as you state, we got some real answers. It is hard to make an informed decision when all you get is rhetoric and responses that are so carefully crafted as to not actually answer anything.

Maybe these guys should be novelists! They've certainly proven they put a lot of thought in using just the right words. In fact, William Zinsser's chapter on Style in his book "On Writing Well" has some amusing examples of
how politicians craftily manipulate words so they don't actually say anything worthwhile.

But I digress. You have made some great points, Shae. Election day will be here before you know it and it is up to us to make the best decision we can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...