Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Sour Cream Pie

I will write a long post soon but I've got a lot to do today so here is a simple recipe to keep you going until I can write longer.

This recipe is based on one I read on my friend Pat's blog. Pat is a foodie like me so I trust her recipes and when she said this one is simple, she wasn't kidding. A pie crust, some fruit and some sour cream and you are almost there. Pat's recipe calls for strawberries and that's the first way I made it. Delicious. But you know me, I can't leave well enough alone (plus my family wanted me to try other fruit.) So I have been tweaking it. I'll be honest, my pie doesn't look anything like the one posted on Pat's blog. I think she is using a deeper dish pie than I am. So I have changed the recipe just a bit to accommodate the pan I am using.

Peaches were on sale at Vons and they were so delicious, really peachy and fresh. They were also HUGE so it only took three peaches for the pie. Here is my version of Peach Sour Cream Pie. Feel free to use any fruit that you like. Strawberries were great and really, any berry or stone fruit would be lovely. You can also vary what, if any, spices you use (Strawberries need no spice, the peaches benefited from a teeny bit of cinnamon and clove.)

The recipe on Pat's blog called for a "half baked pie crust". I wasn't sure how long to blind bake the crust for. Don't skip this step or your crust will end up soggy. I used a frozen Marie Calendars pie crust and pre-baked it for 10 minutes. This worked perfectly. Then just dump in your fruit, smooth over the sour cream topping and bake. So simple, yet so good. Easy and really shows off the fruit.

Sour Cream Fruit Pie

1 half-baked pie crust
4 cups fruit chunks
1 cup sour cream
1 -1/4 cup sugar
3/4 c. flour
2 Tbsp. liqueur of choice (this isn't in Pat's recipe, it's my own addition because I found the sour cream mixture way too thick)

Preheat oven to 450. Mix sour cream, sugar and flour. Mix in liqueur of choice to thin the mixture down if necessary (I used Grand Marnier with strawberries and Amaretto with the peaches). Pour fruit into par-baked pie crust (toss with spices if you are using any) Spoon sour cream mixture over top, spreading evenly with your spatula. Sprinkle top of pie with an additional two tablespoons of sugar. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 30 minutes.

Yup, that's it. Simple, huh? You'll be amazed. Try this pie this weekend while the summer fruit is at it's peak. You can thank me on Monday.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...