Friday, August 01, 2008

Small World

Okay, so I went back again yesterday to make a pest of myself and try to get The Graminator moved closer to home. After a bit of run around (the lovely person I talked to the day before turns out not to be the person I need to help me, of course) I finally found my Gran's case manager (the person from her HMO). And it turns out we went to high school together. She had already faxed Gran's paperwork to the facility we want to go to and they are hoping to have a bed available today. I'm not jumping for joy until I see them loading her onto the medical transport but I am extremely hopeful. Keep your fingers crossed!

They already had Gran up yesterday for a few minutes and today they intend on getting her down to the physical therapy room. No rest around there. I would have thought with a broken bone the would have her in bed for longer but they really want to get her up, walking and out of there. Which is fine by me!

My mom is sick. She had a bit of a cold before all of this happened and all of the stress has weakened her immune system so she isn't feeling well at all. I was worried this would happen, I guess I'm glad that it's a cold and not something worse.

The title of this post is small world, partly because of the coincidence of my having been to high school with Gran's case manager (which goes to show you that as big as Las Vegas has gotten, it's still a small town in some ways.) But the other reason is because of a lovely lady named Maura. She has left me very supportive comments on my blog and I want to let her know how much they have helped. Maura and Dyann, two fellow writers, have been just wonderful about reading my blog and leaving me comments, which does such great things for me, I just can't say enough. (Check out Maura and Dyann's blogs too!) I have never met Maura in person, she lives back east, but we met through a writer's group and she has become a loyal reader and supportive friend very quickly. I really appreciate all of your comments Maura, they mean a lot. One of the problems I have is that my family is who I turn to in times of crisis and when that crisis is family related I have no one to turn to because I know they are going through stuff too. So it's nice to have someone that's in my corner, so to speak. You Rock!

Okay, it's time for me to get ready to trek to Henderson, I have to pack a bag. Hopefully when I get there someone will have good news about her transfer. Keep her in your thoughts loyal readers, they are far more appreciated than I can ever express!

2 comments:

Maura said...

Well, schucks, you almost made me cry! I'm so glad I could help you. I have come to look forward to your warm and witty posts and it has been helpful for me to know that you and Dyann are 'keeping tabs' on my writing progress. Your support, too, has meant a great deal to me. So I am happy I could be there for you.

That is great news about your high school friend being the case worker. In situations such as this one, it really helps to have someone you know on the inside, so to speak. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she gets moved today. And tell your Mom to try and relax. It is a difficult time but it is all going to be ok in the long run. The Graminator will prevail!!

dyann hunter said...

Maura really is a gem!

Shae! I know the Henderson drive well. I work there! Thus, I drive 50 miles a day just to earn my keep :-)

One of my co-workers has a mother-in-law going through the same thing your Graminator is. We listen to her horror stories every day dealing with the HMO, the pain, and her mother-in-law's dementia. It's so sad.

Again, I'm not looking forward to getting old.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...