Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You've Been Waiting...And Here It Is!

Okay, you've all been waiting (with baited breath, I'm sure!) for the 'back of the book' synopsis of my current work in progress. So here it is. Would reading this on the back cover make you want to buy the novel?

" Shelby Truitt's life was pretty dull. Running the Book Nook at the mall during the day and watching television with her dog at night, the most excitement Shelby got in her life was when the latest Netflix movie arrived. But ever since hunky author Evan Fielding came to sign copies of his bestselling spy novel at her bookstore, Shelby's seen a murder, a bomb and not one, but two dead guys! Now Evan's in trouble and Russian secret agents are more than mall security can handle. So it's up to Shelby, armed with nothing more than MacGyver reruns and the complete James Bond boxed set, to save the day."

Okay, now you've gotten a glimpse of my latest baby. Critique away. And thanks for being so patient!

4 comments:

Jonathon Bryant said...

Ok well first off I just want to say not bad. NOW WHENS THE BOOK GOING TO BE FINISHED!!!! I wish I had never read your blog because I want to know more. Its so interesting and entertaining. It was even better then the first one you gave us. I would definetely buy the book if I read that. Keep up the good work!!! -JON

Maura said...

Great job, Shae! I absolutely love the whole premise. I would definitely want to read this book.

I have only two suggestions and they are basically just grammatical:

1 - Let me preface my first suggestion with the fact that the nuns in my catholic school were maniacal about avoiding run on sentences. So I often seek to shorten sentences. Keep that in mind. That said, I would take part of the second sentence and add it to the first sentence and use a colon to force a pause. And I would remove the phrase "in her life" from the second sentence: "Shelby Truitt led a dull life: running the Book Nook at the mall by day and watching television with her dog at night. The most excitement Shelby experienced was when the latest Netflix movie arrived."

2 - In the last sentence I would change "James Bond boxed set" to "boxed set of James Bond." I think it flows a little better, especially if you read it aloud.

So that's my two cents worth. I hope you find it helpful.

Keep up the great work, Shae! It was so great to see the MacGyver reference. It makes me wonder just how creative Shelby is going to be dealing with those pesky Russian agents. I can't wait to read more of this!!

dyann hunter said...

Awesome Shae! I would totally read it! It's so hip and fun!

The only thing I questioned is if it's more of a chick lit, romance in the background sort of book, or a right out romance. For chick lit (spy, funny, etc) you have it nailed. If its main focus is on the romance, I think you should add something about how Shelby is going to be helping Evan and how in that process the "action" heats up. I guess I'd want to know that Shelby's heart - as well as life - is at stake.

I really do love it though. It sounds like a total blast!

Shae said...

Great comments guys, thanks!

It's chick lit AND romance so things will definitely heat up for Shelby (after all, she's a single girl and Evan is a hot spy!) I guess I'll need to up the heat in the Evan/Shelby description. Still a WIP.

Thanks Maura. I know that my grammar isn't always letter perfect, especially when my characters speak.

I appreciate all the help, you guys ROCK!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...