Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Friend Bonnie


In my never ending quest to promote the things and people I love, today we are going to talk about my 'friend' Bonnie Hunt.

Yes, I used the showbiz term friend. I've actually never met Bonnie but I feel like we have known each other for years. You know her, too. Sure you do. If you've seen a movie in the last fifteen years, you've seen Bonnie. She plays a lot of supporting rolls and she does it well. She played Tom Hanks' wife in The Green Mile, Renee Zellweger's sister in Jerry Macguire, the mom in the Cheaper by the Dozen movies with Steve Martin (which bear no resemblance to the beloved novel of the same name but that's a different story.)

I love Bonnie because she is fresh and funny. But she isn't some over the top caricature. She's warm and real and you feel like she's that funny older sister you could tell all of your secrets to. I first saw her in the very funny but very short lived television series "Grand". Since then I've followed her through a variety of television series' (including the Emmy nominated but also short lived "Life With Bonnie", where the 'Smellgaway' leather couch will be forever one of my favorite bits of all time) and movies. She's on of the few actors around that I'd follow anywhere. Talented and smart and she surrounds herself with other talented and smart people. Wait, why haven't I met her yet?

Bonnie co-wrote, directed and starred in my favorite romantic comedy of all time, Return to Me. If you are a romantic comedy fan and you haven't seen this film, you need to run, RUN, to your video store and rent it. It is a fantastic film, sweet, funny, romantic and beautiful. It tugs at your heartstrings but in a natural, easy way. David Duchovny and Minnie Driver are awesome, and Carol O'Connor made me wish he was my Grandpa. Great supporting cast, including the beautiful city of Chicago and one of the coolest soundtracks around, featuring Joey Gian (former Star Search winner and frequent Las Vegas performer.)

Okay, I feel an affinity for Bonnie because we share the same birthday (but Bonnie is older, sorry Bonnie) and because she has done so many things that I'm envious of. But I support her in all her endeavors because she strikes me as a person who works very hard for what she has accomplished. She also used to be an oncology nurse and I figure that makes her just short of 'angel' in my book.

Bonnie has a new talk show premiering September 8th (my brother Will's birthday). It looks like it's going to be fabulous (after all this is the woman who has been called the "best talk show guest" so she knows how to give good interview.) Plus she's so real and honest that I'm sure she'll bring out the best in whomever she's interviewing. Check out this promo for her show.



The Bonnie Hunt Show will run in syndication so check here for your local station and showtime. I'm so glad that there is going to be something on besides Judge shows and Dr. Phil. Thank God for Bonnie, it'll get the bad taste of Rachel Ray out of my mouth.

Okay, end of shameless shilling for one of my favorite talents. Give the show a chance to shine and rent Return to Me. I think I'll watch it again this afternoon!

3 comments:

Maura said...

I have always liked Bonnie Hunt. I was so disappointed when "Life with Bonnie" got canceled. It was one of the best shows on at the time. I loved the episode when David Alan Grier pretended to be the fashion designer. I had forgotten all about "Grand" but I really liked it when it was on. I thought she and Pamela Reed were great in it. And I liked Bonnie a lot in Jumanji and Jerry MacGuire. I will definitely be looking out for her new talk show. Thanks for letting me know about it.

And I have added Return to Me to my list. I'll let you know what I think when I see it.

Shae said...

Okay, you have to see "Return to Me" then. Put it at the TOP of your list. It has David Alan Grier and Holly Wortel and several other people who later appeared on "Life with Bonnie". I swear you won't be dissappointed.

dyann hunter said...

I love Bonnie Hunt AND Return To Me is one of my favorite movies. But I'm a die-hard David Duchovny fan and that movie makes me want to do very naughty things to him. So, I'm on your bandwagon Shae.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...