Saturday, May 03, 2008

It's harder than it looks

Okay, some days the writing just flows out of you and you think, "wow, this is great" and some days you want to throw your computer against the wall. Yesterday was a throwing day. My progress seemed slow and plodding. Then last night I couldn't sleep and I kept thinking about my novel and today seems like a flow day. I had a French teacher who told me that once you start dreaming in a foreign language you have begun to master it. I hope it's the same for writing, since I dreamed in my novel. Men in breeches with untied cravats and innocent ladies and villainous highwaymen. My characters are becoming more real now which I think is a good sign except now they have stronger personalities and they are definitely letting me know when I get their story wrong. I didn't get 2,000 words yesterday but I know I'll make it up. I finished reading Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" which is over 900 pages (and takes place in the Middle Ages with lots of technical information about architecture and building and monastic life) and I don't know how he did it. I'm trying to eek out 220 pages and it seems insurmountable. But I'll just keep plodding and flowing along!

1 comment:

dyann hunter said...

I wish I could dream about my novel. I usually have weird dreams where Tom Petty asks me to marry him, but he has the head of John Lithgow.

Your doing smashingly! (In my best English accent)

BTW: What Irish guys are you into?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...